Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping at Upper Chipmunk

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping at Upper Chipmunk

Postby NE_Dad » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 am

Coming to RMNP with my 8 and 10 year old, just to relax, hike, and fish, Sept. 27-30. Considering RMNP Upper Chipmunk campground and that allows us to leisure up Chiquita and Chapin. Not terribly familiar with that area. Know to prepare for snow. Any thoughts or other suggestions? It's just a weekend and we'll be driving from Omaha, so don't want to push them. Conservative roundtrip mileage suggestions appreciated! Thanks!
"The ability to witness two men stand toe to toe in the spirit of sportsmanship and pummel each other into insensibility is what separates us from the animals." Reverend Jim Ignatowski.

Re: Camping at Upper Chipmunk

Postby Alpine » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Apparently none of us have any info to share on this. You might try the RMNP Forums: http://www.rmnpforums.com/forums/ There is a bunch of active people over there who always seem friendly and willing to share info/conditions, etc.

You have probably already figured this out but it is about 4 miles one way. I was there only once a long time ago so don't remember much.

I don't see much in your post to get an idea of you or your children's experience or skill levels, so the following may need to be filtered a bit.

A 4 day trip from Omaha including driving? Not sure if your plan is to drive over and hike on the same day, but Google maps puts this at 8.5 hours driving (Omaha to RMNP). Probably plus a couple extra stops for the kids (and your) sanity. Then figure some time to eat dinner, get to the trailhead, get your gear ready, etc. Might be a long day if you wanted to backpack in that same day. Also consider the shortened daylight this time of the year. If you and your kids have some backpacking experience you might be okay, but if it was me I would either plan on hiking in the next day, or finding a shorter hike. Or closer destination?

Also, as far as I know there is no established trail from Chipmunk to Chapin or Chiquita. There might be segments of informal climbers trails. Of course off-trail excursions can be fun and rewarding also for the prepared, but often children do better on established trails especially if they are new to backpacking and hiking.

Just some thoughts to consider; hope it helps.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:49 pm

I wouldn't quite call it a leisure to get up Chapin and Chiquita...but people do it. And I'm not sure why you'd go to Chapin, it just means a good 1000' of reclimbing to get back to Chiquita and down the East ridge.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Postby NE_Dad » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks to you both. Called the park and got a much more appropriate itinerary. Wild Basin to N. St. Vrain and up to Ouzel Lake next day for fishing. Thanks!
"The ability to witness two men stand toe to toe in the spirit of sportsmanship and pummel each other into insensibility is what separates us from the animals." Reverend Jim Ignatowski.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:38 am

Sounds like a better choice, enjoy!
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull