Fall Gathering S-ridge Beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
leggaj5
14ers: 45  5 
Trip Reports (3)

Fall Gathering S-ridge Beta

Post by leggaj5 »

In light of some of the accidents in this range recently, I wanted to offer som advice regarding this route which will no doubt be well-traveled next weekend. We completed the route yesterday, and my advice concerns the options to gain the ridge. There are two gullies separated by a rib, and we ascended the rib and descended the second gully, which will be on the left on your ascent. This second is so loose and rotten, and I highly advise not using it at all. On the descent, I kicked down a rock that was the size of a beach ball that didn't stop until it reached the valley floor in addition to many smaller rocks. It doesn't save time and will be a death trap with multiple people in it. Go up and down the rib in between the gullies; it is solid and probably doesn't exceed class 3.
flintster
14ers: 45 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fall Gathering S-ridge Beta

Post by flintster »

Cool, thanks for the info. 3 of us are headed up for the gathering and wondering if getting to the S-Ridge is going to be a shooting gallery...
justify429
14ers: 3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by justify429 »

If your climbing down the sides of the gully be careful the rocks there can come loose. Had a Guy fall 40' and walk out from it. Just be cautious all around and gl to all of you. Always more dangerous the larger the crowd.
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

leggaj5 wrote:In light of some of the accidents in this range recently, I wanted to offer som advice regarding this route which will no doubt be well-traveled next weekend. We completed the route yesterday, and my advice concerns the options to gain the ridge. There are two gullies separated by a rib, and we ascended the rib and descended the second gully, which will be on the left on your ascent. This second is so loose and rotten, and I highly advise not using it at all. On the descent, I kicked down a rock that was the size of a beach ball that didn't stop until it reached the valley floor in addition to many smaller rocks. It doesn't save time and will be a death trap with multiple people in it. Go up and down the rib in between the gullies; it is solid and probably doesn't exceed class 3.
Good advice for sure. In case anyone is wondering/confused, here is a picture that should help. The red line is BAD, the green line is GOOD. I know, I took the red line up [-X , and the green line down \:D/ .
Entrance gully (climber's left on ascent).
Entrance gully (climber's left on ascent).
s-ridgeentrancegully.JPG (256.4 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!