Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fall Gathering S-ridge Beta

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Fall Gathering S-ridge Beta

Postby leggaj5 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:15 pm

In light of some of the accidents in this range recently, I wanted to offer som advice regarding this route which will no doubt be well-traveled next weekend. We completed the route yesterday, and my advice concerns the options to gain the ridge. There are two gullies separated by a rib, and we ascended the rib and descended the second gully, which will be on the left on your ascent. This second is so loose and rotten, and I highly advise not using it at all. On the descent, I kicked down a rock that was the size of a beach ball that didn't stop until it reached the valley floor in addition to many smaller rocks. It doesn't save time and will be a death trap with multiple people in it. Go up and down the rib in between the gullies; it is solid and probably doesn't exceed class 3.

Re: Fall Gathering S-ridge Beta

Postby flintster » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. 3 of us are headed up for the gathering and wondering if getting to the S-Ridge is going to be a shooting gallery...

Postby justify429 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:50 pm

If your climbing down the sides of the gully be careful the rocks there can come loose. Had a Guy fall 40' and walk out from it. Just be cautious all around and gl to all of you. Always more dangerous the larger the crowd.

Postby KeithK » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:41 pm

leggaj5 wrote:In light of some of the accidents in this range recently, I wanted to offer som advice regarding this route which will no doubt be well-traveled next weekend. We completed the route yesterday, and my advice concerns the options to gain the ridge. There are two gullies separated by a rib, and we ascended the rib and descended the second gully, which will be on the left on your ascent. This second is so loose and rotten, and I highly advise not using it at all. On the descent, I kicked down a rock that was the size of a beach ball that didn't stop until it reached the valley floor in addition to many smaller rocks. It doesn't save time and will be a death trap with multiple people in it. Go up and down the rib in between the gullies; it is solid and probably doesn't exceed class 3.

Good advice for sure. In case anyone is wondering/confused, here is a picture that should help. The red line is BAD, the green line is GOOD. I know, I took the red line up [-X , and the green line down \:D/ .

s-ridgeentrancegully.JPG
Entrance gully (climber's left on ascent).
s-ridgeentrancegully.JPG (256.4 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Snow is dumb.™