Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hood or No hood? Softshell

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby SingleSpeed » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Finally after 10 years of use my old soft shell is ready to be replaced. I am debating if I want a hood on the new soft shell or not. Anyone have an opinion in favor or against hoods on softshells? Any suggestions on a favorite soft shell? Most of the time I will be just be using it as an every day winter jacket. Will use it for snowshoeing (at least take it along in the pack) and winter hiking. Thanks for your 2 cents.

JJ

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby zdero1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:32 pm

detachable hood? I'm not familiar with any models but just a thought. Have it all!

Postby EatinHardtack » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Hood without a doubt. It comes in handy more than you think. If you're not using it in the mountains and just around town, then go sans hood.

Postby DaveSwink » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:19 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:Hood without a doubt.

+1 The ease of adjustment to conditions makes a hood very worthwhile. A hood is more accessible than a hat, and warmer too.

Postby JB99 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Another vote for a hood.

Postby forbins_mtn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:52 pm

i have the Patagonia Guide soft shell and i use it for around the town. i definitely prefer no hood for a night out on the town. looks way classier

Postby pvnisher » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:07 am

Hood. Mammut ultimate hoody. Pit zips from biceps to waist.

Postby oldschoolczar » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:10 am

Marmot ROM softshell:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot ... essed=true

Been on every hike w/ me since I got it. Great gear!
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:19 am

Hood for most things, no-hood for around town use.

In the winter my soft-shell is my only shell for wind and snow so I always want a hood on it.

Postby Tortoise1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:32 am

My hood was always drooping down over my eyes, until I combined it with a baseball cap, wouldn't want to be without it now.

Postby devo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:20 am

No hood for me. If weather comes in I'm going to end up with a hard shell on over everything and I don't like multiple hoods. It gets a little bulky.

Postby crestone14ers » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:40 am

Never a hood on a softshell! I've been wearing 'em for many years and I've found that the weather here in Colorado and the West is commensurate with just wearing a merino wool beanie that goes over the ears. When the SHTF, I put on a long balaclava.

Being that I wear long Icebreaker zip turtlenecks in the winter, my neck is usually covered very well. My softshells tend to be Sporthill 3SP wind and weather resistent that also breathes and they're zip T design.

In the summer, I wear a wide brimmed Tilley hat and that along with a softshell keeps me comfortable.

Hoods tend to make me sweat and overheat. This I find to be a very miserable experience.

I want the freedom of movement and peripheral sight that moving w/o a hood provides.

On my winter parka and Gore Tex rain gear, I have hoods that are fold-able on them and I can't remember the time when I wore a hood. Except for forced bivys years ago.

YMMV... but this guy thinks they're over-rated, uncomfortable and produces too much heat when moving quickly! :wink:
“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai

Next