Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Elbert Condition?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports
User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Mt. Elbert Condition?

Postby GMorgan21 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:47 am

Has anyone been up Elbert in the last couple days since the rainstorm on Wednesday? I want to try to do it tomorrow but I was wondering if there was going to be a lot of snow.

Thanks,
Gina

User avatar
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:11 am
Location: The West Side

Re: Mt. Elbert Condition?

Postby EatinHardtack » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:37 am

There probably won't be alot of snow. Only a dusting at the most.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

User avatar
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: Saudi Aurora

Re: Mt. Elbert Condition?

Postby ChrisinAZ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:38 am

I haven't, but most of the routes on Elbert are fairly gentle near the top, and it sounds like only the top few hundred feet are likely to have only a few inches of snow. With a good thick pair of hiking boots, trekking poles, and microspikes (those last two may even be overkill) I'm sure you'd be fine.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

User avatar
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Mt. Elbert Condition?

Postby wrchad23 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:48 am

Please keep us updated. I plan on going Oct 1st weather permitting so snow accumulation is an important, possibly deciding factor.

User avatar
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:05 pm
Location: Englewood, CO

Re: Mt. Elbert Condition?

Postby HedleyLamarr » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:13 pm

I hiked North Massive this morning and Elbert only had a light dusting the last 300 vertical feet or so. The snow on Massive was only a couple of inches and I didn't even bother with breaking out the microspikes.

User avatar
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Mt. Elbert Condition?

Postby zdero1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:06 pm

wrchad23 wrote:Please keep us updated. I plan on going Oct 1st weather permitting so snow accumulation is an important, possibly deciding factor.


I don't make the weather or anything, but I would bet that snow accumulation would not be a significant obstacle to your summit bid. Even in the small chance Elbert was coated in snow, there would probably be nice bootpack to help you out. Make sure you have a nice pair of hiking boots and gaiters are a nice addition to Sept/Oct climbing.

Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Mt. Elbert Condition?

Postby pjdfw » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Gmorgan - all the best for your hike! I'm planning for Friday .

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamjm, BB732, Ben D, cory1223oh, DoctorBreaks, druid2112, forbins_mtn, IntrepidXJ, mountaingoat-G, tdallred, twhalm and 33 guests