My first 14er ! : Mt Elbert next week

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pjdfw
Trip Reports (0)

My first 14er ! : Mt Elbert next week

Post by pjdfw »

Hi everyone

Thanks for the gr8 insights on this forum. We r planning to hike mt Elbert next thu / Friday. This will be the 1st 14er I've done and I'm really looking fwd to it. I had a question about winter clothing. I'm planning base layers ( top + bottom) , convertible shorts/pants, t-shirt, fleece and a north face summit jacket.

Am I carrying too much or too little ?

- pj
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: My first 14er ! : Mt Elbert next week

Post by dpage »

Don't forget your hat and gloves. You'll want to keep your fingers warm do you can still write your name in the summit register.
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

Sounds pretty good to me but better to be overly prepared than to get cold. You can always take clothes off if you get too hot. Layers, Layers, Layers... wool, wool, wool.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
pjdfw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pjdfw »

Thanks!! Will post a report once we are done ! Is anyone else going to Elbert this week?
fepic1
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 170 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fepic1 »

Hey PJ, You picked a great first mountain! Elbert was one of my favorite summits. VIEWS!!!! 360 Spectacular!
Not knowing the forecast this is what I bring Fall,Winter ,Spring.
Upper: I use a light moisture wicking base layer. When I first started the 14s It was winter and I over dressed. Thinking I would get cold.
You will generate heat quickly,just walk uphill if you get a chill :)
Pack a mid layer. A must is a wind proof ,water proof shell !
The wicking base layer is important . I perspire a lot when pushing up the mountain . This keeps me dry.

Lower: Light wicking base layer and a pant. Depending on the temperature and wind forecast i like a very light wind proof water proof pant.
I do pack a 800 fill down coat and bivy sack.
Stocking hat ,baclava,two pair of gloves . One heavy one light.
Thats the clothes list. You will do a lot of wardrobe changing. Hot then cold. You will find out what works for you. Have fun! You wont forget your first !
pjdfw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pjdfw »

Thanks! We r in leadville and ready for our climb tomorrow. We walked 2.5 miles on th trail today just to acclimatize.
Mcwil424
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mcwil424 »

Elbert was my first as well. Good luck. It's a long one, but beautiful.