Recommendation for overnighter in Sangres / Elks

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hvolmer
14ers: 20 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Recommendation for overnighter in Sangres / Elks

Post by hvolmer »

I really need to hit some mountains that aren't up I-70/285.

What I would like to do is drive down the night before, hike in a little or camp near my truck, climb something the next morning, and head home that evening. Saturday night through Sunday most likely. I'm not really prepared for multi-day pack trips, but I figured a few of these would help me understand what I need to build pack-wise, and get me into some different terrain.

Are there good Sangre or Elks peaks for doing this? Gotta keep it class 3 or less.

Thanks
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Recommendation for overnighter in Sangres / Elks

Post by GregMiller »

Just did Challenger/Kit Carson this last weekend, fit's the bill perfectly. Nice ~4 mile hike into Willow Lake, which is gorgeous, then a Class 2 up Challenger, and Class 3 (barely) over to Kit Carson and back. We hiked up Saturday afternoon, did the mountains Sunday morning/afternoon, and got back around 9 or 10 Sunday evening (because we woke up late and took extra long on the hike).
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

I thought Cathedral Lake and peak were fantastic!
Cathedral Peak is class-3. Just to the north on a nice, class-1 trail is Electric Pass Peak and Leahy Peak (class-2).
Camping spots exist near the lake and the good thing is it's only a 2.5-3 mile hike!

Same drive (up Castle Creek Road from the main round-a-bout outside Aspen) as for Castle Peak but you turn off MUCH sooner. Turn is marked.
You won't see very many people. Most drive past Cathedral on towards Castle/Conundrum.
Been up there twice this year.

GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Kiefer wrote:I thought Cathedral Lake and peak were fantastic!
Cathedral Peak is class-3. Just to the north on a nice, class-1 trail is Electric Pass Peak and Leahy Peak (class-2).
Camping spots exist near the lake and the good thing is it's only a 2.5-3 mile hike!

Same drive (up Castle Creek Road from the main round-a-bout outside Aspen) as for Castle Peak but you turn off MUCH sooner. Turn is marked.
You won't see very many people. Most drive past Cathedral on towards Castle/Conundrum.
Been up there twice this year.
Ooh, I'll definitely keep that one in mind. You happen to see what the ridge looks like over towards Conundrum? Wondering if you could do Cathedral -> Conundrum -> Castle.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes