Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Photos of crowded peaks?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Photos of crowded peaks?

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:00 pm

These pictures are making me sick :-&

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Unfortunately, when we did Grays Peak this year Dish Network had a company hike with over 150 participants. You can't even see half of them because they are all bunched up.

The other end of the summit was similar to a mosh pit.

Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Not a summit, and not even Colorado, but Wikipedia has the classic photo of the throngs going up Half Dome. The original is larger if you need it.

So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:10 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:Not a summit, and not even Colorado, but Wikipedia has the classic photo of the throngs going up Half Dome. The original is larger if you need it.

See now that just pisses me off. Get in line and summit like the other 50,000 people today. No thank you. [-(
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:13 pm

SilverLynx wrote:See now that just pisses me off. Get in line and summit like the other 50,000 people today. No thank you. [-(

Or do Clouds Rest, which is 1000 feet higher and has better views, and share the summit with maybe half a dozen people on a busy day.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby lackerstef » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Somewhat of a prick wrote:These pictures are making me sick :-&

We are bound to end up taking similar steps as California and allowing permit access only... Time to hurry up and finish the list so as to move onto the secluded 13ers!

Postby TallGrass » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:22 pm

mgrundy wrote:
mrburns wrote: How do people hike in jeans? I know it is just G & T, but isn't it super uncomfortable?
They dont know any better....

Really?

Why do you find it more logical to assume that "they're unable to dress for personal comfort" or "anyone without the same clothing preferences as me must be ignorant/irrational" than "different things are comfortable to different people (different morphologies, metabolisms, needs)"? Oh wait, here's why. :) What about hiking in leather pants? Arguably the oldest clothing material still in use despite cheaper materials and with good reason. :wink:

You know what Europeans call a grown man wearing shorts? An American. A skirt? A Scotsman.:lol:

This is as crowded as I've seen though there were quite a few more coming up as I started the down climb section. I'm sure I'll see more people on Pikes, Evans, or Longs. (Click photo for full 360° panorama and full screen option)
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Scizzo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:33 pm

djkest wrote:Unfortunately, when we did Grays Peak this year Dish Network had a company hike with over 150 participants. You can't even see half of them because they are all bunched up.

That second shot of Grays from Torreys Peak make me want to vomit

Postby crossfitter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 pm

So much hate towards popular summits. What is it about hiking that attracts so many misanthropes? Smile, it's fun to hang out with people on the summit! If you want solitude you have thousands of other desolate options to choose from. Heck, you can even choose to not do the cattle trails and be all by yourself until you reach the top!
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby Rich H » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:45 pm

crossfitter wrote:So much hate towards popular summits. What is it about hiking that attracts so many misanthropes? Smile, it's fun to hang out with people on the summit! If you want solitude you have thousands of other desolate options to choose from. Heck, you can even choose to not do the cattle trails and be all by yourself until you reach the top!

I love it - I don't aim to go out and climb 14ers much anymore but when I do, I love seeing the peoples and talking and sharing stories.

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:50 pm

There is a gargantuan difference between running into a few people here and there, and being able to smell the B.O. and gas of the 50 hikers in front of you and behind you. I don't mind sharing summits, but not with a herd of 100+ people. I'm not sure where I draw my line but it's definitely before 100. Everyone has their own personal gauge of what is "crowded" and what is not. If I have to worry about my camera getting stolen, that's a crowd.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby CO Native » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Several years ago was a very heavy winter. The keyhole route was classified as "technical" late into the year. Unfortunately just days before I went to hike it, RMNP announced that the snow had melted enough that the route was no longer technical. We hadn't heard that announcement, but we began to suspect something when we signed the register at 1:30 in the morning and we were the 18th group to sign in that day. We passed 25 people on our way to watch the sunrise from the summit. We thought that was bad, then we headed down. It was nuts. The trough was a constant roar of people yelling "rock". When we got to the Keyhole it was littered with people waiting their turn to pass through.

Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

PreviousNext