Pyramid Peak Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DanielL
14ers: 58  11  9 
13ers: 43 1 3
Trip Reports (22)

Pyramid Peak Conditions?

Post by DanielL »

I'm planning on climbing Pyramid via the standard route this Saturday, and was wondering if anyone has been up there or in the area the last few days. For anyone that has climbed it with some snow, how much harder does it make this route?
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Pyramid Peak Conditions?

Post by TravelingMatt »

Can't answer your question directly, but I have been in the area the past couple of days preparing for Pyramid. I am in Carbondale and the sun has just come out and the sky is clearing. Can't see the high Elks from here, but there is no snow on Sopris. I think the Elks has been spared the brunt of the latest system.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Yog
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Yog »

I'm also interested in snow conditions in this area. I saw one picture of the Bells with some light snow. Forecast for Aspen Fri & Saturday in the 70's (weather underground), so perhaps what is there will melt off Saturday?
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner
weh
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weh »

I posted a similar question regarding Pyramid and the Elks with out seeing this post. Hope between our posts we get some good feedback for the weekend.
FluffyBunny
14ers: 39 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by FluffyBunny »

I'm hoping to climb South Maroon on Saturday and would like to know the snow conditions.
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Bump. If anyone who lives in the Roaring Fork Valley area has any first-hand information or pictures concerning the snowline and/or the amount of snow in the Elks, I (along with some other folks) would greatly appreciate it. I am looking at Capitol on Sunday, but don't have the skills or desire to climb it with snow on the route. Thanks!
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I got word from an Aspen resident. There is snow on the peaks (Maroon Bells/Pyramid). He's not sure how much they got, but thinks not more than a few inches. It was plainly visible from about 12,000ft on up.

That said, hard to figure on conditions by Saturday morning.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I work up at Glenwood Caverns and didn't see any snow on Capitol yesterday. Today it's very hazy and I can barely see Sopris from here.
Neil
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Thank you both...that is very informative! If anyone else wants to jump in, I would appreciate it. The more info, the better.
-Driving Song
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I'll see if I can get you a close up shot of capitol today and post it.
Neil
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

myfeetrock wrote:I'll see if I can get you a close up shot of capitol today and post it.
Cool...thanks!
-Driving Song
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

mtree wrote:I got word from an Aspen resident. There is snow on the peaks (Maroon Bells/Pyramid). He's not sure how much they got, but thinks not more than a few inches. It was plainly visible from about 12,000ft on up.
WRONG!

I did Pyramid today. There was NO snow anywhere on the route. I saw a couple patches far off the route, and that's all they were, patches.

A few of the high cliff bands on the Bells had a dusting of snow. This will likely melt off quickly, maybe they're gone already. Of course I could only see the northern and eastern aspects. Today was a bluebird day in the Elks.

Capitol and Snowmass were bare. Castle, of which I could only see the western aspect, had some snow on top. So did the Sawatch peaks I just got done driving by (La Plata, Massive, Elbert), above say 13,700 feet. Generally most of the snow fell further east than the Elks.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake