Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Think of it as a tax on impatience, and (like the lottery) on poor math skills.

Driving Buena Vista to Leadville at 55 mph takes 38 minutes. Doing the same 35 miles at 65 mph takes 32 minutes. What are you really going to do with that extra 6 minutes?

And the wildlife zone is really only about 16 or 17 miles out of that whole stretch, so people probably only save 3 minutes.

Two words : Cruise Control. The people tailgating me through there might not like me much for holding them back, but when we pass a parked cop I always look in the rearview and tell them "you're welcome".

Tailgaiters are fun to mess with though, I just let my foot off the gas and slowly creep them down to 5-10 under until they finally realize they can't make me go faster my riding my bumper and actually pass me, then I go back to the speed limit :twisted:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby djkest » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:58 pm

The wildlife crossing zone is only a 9 mile stetch. It's right after you come out of the Canyon between Granite and Buena Vista.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby emohr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:00 pm

nfire wrote:
pkripper wrote:
Most people with an ounce of common sense understand that if you're not sure of the limit you should probrably just drive the lower speed. Jim summed it up best with the differing speed comparison . If saving 6 minutes is worth the price of the ticket to you,Then don't whine when you get caught.

actually most people with common sense, when theres a daytime speed limit and a night time speed limit, will drive the daytime speed limit in the broad daylight. try to keep up.

Then you, Captain Common Sense, can enjoy a nice hefty ticket. Common sense isn't so common anymore.

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:11 pm

I believe most people have no clue where the money goes from speeding tickets...

From a news article earlier this year. http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20120205/NEWS/120209913 If you choose to beleive it or not, thats up to you.
Summit County's five law-enforcement agencies and Colorado State Patrol collectively
handed out more than 7,000 traffic tickets last year, but they weren't gunning for
quotas or cash, local authorities say.

“There is no such thing as a quota,” Dillon Police Chief Joe Wray said. “That is a common
perception. That, and that we use (tickets) for revenue generation. Those are absolutely false.”

Other law-enforcement agencies in Summit County, including Colorado State Patrol,
concurred. Traffic stops, they insist, are not about quotas, but compliance, and the agencies
don't see the revenue generated by citations. That money is routed into town, county or state
general funds, officials said.

“There's no set number put on anybody,” Colorado State Patrol spokesman Josh Lewis said.
“(The money) does not go back into state patrol. We get our funding from a highway user
tax fund … that comes from tax on gasoline.”

Sorry, but my common sense tells me to slow down to the slower speed limit until I know for sure whats going on.

And to you tailgaters out there, when I'm going 5 over, your on my ass, and I slow down... Yes, I am doing this on purpose, and yes you will get to your destination slower than if you were not tailgaing me. I dont usually slow down under the speed limit, but I'll go the speed limit every time. I plan ahead, I'm never in a hurry.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:19 pm

djkest wrote:The wildlife crossing zone is only a 9 mile stetch. It's right after you come out of the Canyon between Granite and Buena Vista.

Actually, yeah you're right. It probably is only 9 miles. 17 would be all the way from Granite to BV, its really only the second half of that stretch where the speed is reduced.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:26 pm

May this PSA would have been better suited as:

PSA: Don't be an a**hole!

and it could apply to some many different and exciting things
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby Dex » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Tommy Dorr wrote:I agree that we should slow down and keep our eyes out in areas where wildlife and/or blind turns are present….especially after climbing all day.

That being said, police departments all over the Nation are currently (and have been for some time) engaged in revenue generating efforts just to keep themselves employed. Many sheriff’s departments have been "caught" telling their officers to actually ignore such calls as domestic violence or burglars’ and to focus of traffic violations that generate revenue. Many honorable officers have blown the whistle on such actions.

I got a ticket on the open and empty stretch between Hartsel and Antero Res last year on my way to Monarch. Here is the letter that I wrote to Park County as a result. I hope you find it as amusing as I do:

"I would like to thank the Park County Sheriff’s Department for issuing me a ticket this weekend. I don't always appreciate how amazing and fortunate my life is right now. Especially when compared with what these officers have to do for a living. They must go into this career truly believing that they will be fighting real crime or making some type of actual difference. Then they come to discover that the majority of their career consists of little more than being a toll collector for the much needed revenue required to keep themselves from being laid off. Furthermore these public servants are often found working weekends and holidays while putting in long and lonely hours. It must be a disappointing career to say the least. In comparison, I feel like a king on every level. I really do appreciate the occasional reminder of how fantastic my current situation is. Thank you Park County."

I think if more people saw the accidents that result from, drunken driving, speeding, or distracted driving they would appreciate the police who give out traffic tickets more.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Dex » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:53 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Think of it as a tax on impatience, and (like the lottery) on poor math skills.

Driving Buena Vista to Leadville at 55 mph takes 38 minutes. Doing the same 35 miles at 65 mph takes 32 minutes. What are you really going to do with that extra 6 minutes?

Reading some of these posts - I'm guessing self gratification.
Last edited by Dex on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Dex » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:00 pm

somethingrandom wrote:While the way he went about it was tacky as all hell, I can say Chaffee County from BV to Hwy50 gets absurd at times with the speed traps.

Generally I dont hurry for anything and enjoy setting my cruise control for whatever the speed limit is and enjoying the sights, I too received a ticket in the area mentioned above for being 3 miles an hour over the 55mph limit at the bottom of a hill with my cruise set at the 55mph. Sure, I probably should have been paying more attention and depressed my brake pedal but when all was said and done the wonderful Chaffee County Sheriffs office took me for $186-ish for being 3 mph over the speed limit at the bottom of a hill. No way you cant say it doesnt have A LOT to do with $$.

Was that the area just before Poncha Springs? I think the speed limit in that area drops to 35mph, maybe 45mph - so you might have been going 13mph over the limit but only wrote you up for 3?.
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Magnum420 wrote:And to you tailgaters out there, when I'm going 5 over, your on my ass, and I slow down... Yes, I am doing this on purpose, and yes you will get to your destination slower than if you were not tailgaing me.

Boy, you sure proved how right(eous) you are with that. And when you slow down for one of the aforementioned deer, and get rammed up the ass, I'm sure it will feel good knowing just how right you were.

Good job.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Previous