Gore suggestions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jelgan
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Gore suggestions

Post by Jelgan »

So I'm looking to take my first trip into the Gores this weekend and am looking for suggestions. It'll be Fri-Sat or Fri-Sun and idealy where we camp would have access to various types of terrain for the different people going (easy walks around the basin with aspens for fall colors, scrambles up to peaks, and even some technical climbing if possible). Also are there any restrictions above the normal ones to dispersed camping in the Gores, information on the area is surprisingly lacking...

Thanks!
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Gore suggestions

Post by kaiman »

Jelgan wrote:So I'm looking to take my first trip into the Gores this weekend and am looking for suggestions. It'll be Fri-Sat or Fri-Sun and idealy where we camp would have access to various types of terrain for the different people going (easy walks around the basin with aspens for fall colors, scrambles up to peaks, and even some technical climbing if possible). Also are there any restrictions above the normal ones to dispersed camping in the Gores, information on the area is surprisingly lacking...

Thanks!
Take a look at Mount Powell and Peak C from Piney Lake. This is a great hike up a pretty valley with decent options for camping and a chance to scramble up two of the nicest mountains in the range. The Gores are in the Eagles Nest Wilderness Area, so standard restrictions apply. See this page on SummitPost for more info.

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

The Booth Lake area is not difficult to get to and offers offers a variety of terrain. The Spider and the Fly (very fun class 4) are nearby, among many ranked 13ers.
-km
ColoradoEd
14ers: 55 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoEd »

+1 on Booth Lake. A pic from last month:

MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

There are technical routes in the Gores, but you will be hard pressed to find any of them on-line. Now for class 4 stuff, yes. Check out the Grand Traverse or Partner Traverse. Deluge Lake is a beautiful basin with some nice scrambles up Grand Traverse, Valhala, or Snow Peak. Grand Traverse Peak is easy enough for a beginner and the class 4 traverse to North Traverse from there is right there for the taking. Obviously you would have to do the traverse twice to get back to base camp. The only negative about hiking up to Deluge Lake is the very steep trail. It's worth it though. Access is on the outskirts of Vail and there is parking at the trailhead.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

As previously mentioned, Booth, Deluge and Piney are all solid options.

Booth - has a falls nearby for casual hikers that might be low this time of year, but the lake is pretty cool anyways and a cool place to camp. West Partner is a class 2 ridge from there and the Spider/Fly is a fun scramble.

Deluge - Has a cool cabin right at the lake you can camp at. Snow Pass (between Snow and Valhalla) would be a solid option for casual hikers, there is a faint trail all the way from the lake. Valhalla/Palomino Point is a fun class 3/4 scramble and Snow is a straightfoward class 3 scramble. Grand Traverse is another option by itself, doing the Grand Traverse from a Deluge camp would be arduous, as most people complete that as a daytrip with a car shuttle at Bighorn.

Piney - Great camping ops to the East of the lake in the meadow and then more great spots further in the valley along the creek. Powell, Eagle's Nest and C are all viable options from there, as are the Corner Peaks (near Powell via Game Pass).

Pitkin - Similar to Deluge, not as steep maybe, gain most of the elevation right out of the gates, as opposed to a gradual slog like Deluge. Lake is arguably the most aesthetic and you can hit East or West Partner, Solitude, Vista, Climber's or Peak X all from that drainage.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

+1 on Deluge, Pitkin, and Booth. You should know in advance however that all of these options are much steeper than the Piney Lake route I mentioned originally. If members of your group are looking more for casual hiking/backpacking without as much elevation gain I would go with Piney or Pitkin versus Booth or Deluge.

Wherever you decide to go, you will definitely enjoy it.

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I really like the basin NE of the Corner Peaks. It's nice and quiet, but easier to get to than say Bubble Lake and surrounded by many nice peaks..

Bubble Lake is awesome too, but some people aren't fond of the approach.

Actually just about anywhere in the Eagles Nest will do. I can't think of any areas of the wilderness that I have been that weren't spectacular.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
leftyslugger
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by leftyslugger »

Sorry...not to hijack the thread, but how far is Usable Pass from the Pitkin Lake TH? I've only hiked to just past the second falls. Are there any "signs" that indicate where to turn off towards that basin and up to the pass?

I am planning on spending a weekend in the Upper Boulder drainage and don't really want to hike up the unmaintained slog on the east side. For those of you who have done both...which is easier/better?

For the record, Willow/Salmon Lakes, Gore Lake/Snow Lake and Pass and down Deluge, Upper Slate Lake...all are spectacular places.

Keith
Jelgan
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Jelgan »

*gasp* Thread hijacker!

That side, thanks for the suggestions all, I was leaning towards Piney Lake in the first place, but nice to get other ideas too.

You may now return to hijacking this thread.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

The Town of Vail has been adding parking restrictions to the trailheads over the last couple of years. No overnight parking at Booth anymore, and I think Pitkin has maybe a 2-day limit? I forget what the sign said, it might have been 3. Of course that is unless they changed it. Bighorn is probably restricted too, but I haven't been up that trail recently.

Deluge/Gore Creek and Piney do not have those restrictions as they are not in residential neighborhoods.

Camping regs do not allow for fires within 100' of water or trails (although 200' is recommended by LNT), or within 1/4 mile (1320') of treeline. That means no fires at Booth, Pitkin or Deluge lakes, because they are all above treeline. You have to camp farther down those trails if you wanted a fire.

Gore Creek may offer you the most variety and the best overnight parking options for your group. Hike to around the grave site (long but fairly flat) and then for peaks up to the Gore Lake area and climb Silverthorne, Hail, or Snow. All three are fairly easy scrambling. The ridge from Hail to Snow could be technical, there is quite a notch just west of Hail. Zodiac spires are technical too. Day hike option up to Red Buffalo Pass, could also use that to get to Red Peak or Deming.

Pitkin to the flats around 10,800 above the second falls would offer some places to camp. Then climb Solitude for Class 2, or either Partner for Class 3. The non-climbers would have an easy walk from that camp to the lake, or back down hill to hang out by the falls and some fall color.

Leftyslugger- There is no marked turnoff to get to Usable Pass and its 100% off trail bushwhacking to treeline from where you leave the trail. I think it works pretty good if you leave the trail above the second falls around 10,800' and just 'whack your way up to treeline, if you do it right you will find the creek that comes out of that basin and follow it, you can even follow that creek from lower by the falls if you wanted. From tree line its cross country on tundra and talus to the pass. The back side of the pass is steep hardpan, probably sucks with a full pack - it pretty much sucks w/o one too though!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
leftyslugger
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by leftyslugger »

At least I offered some suggestions! Seriously, sorry. I should have started a separate post.