Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

So...Who rode the train

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: So...Who rode the train

Postby kushrocks » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:13 am

Yep I got up close pictures of the accident. It wasn't the trains fault some really old guy in a Tacoma who probably shouldn't have been driving tried to cut in front of the train at the last second and didn't make it. He's ok and the truck was damaged but not totaled. The train wasn't moving too fast at that point and had literally only gone like 200 yards when it happened. I can post pictures tonight from my home computer.

Postby Tortoise1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:33 am

There needs to be a Toyota 4wd ownership IQ test of some sort, for the protection of society. It was a Land Cruiser that spent the whole winter up somewhere, east slope of Bross maybe, a couple years ago as I recall.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:59 am

Webster Pass, I believe.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby kushrocks » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:44 pm

This was my first train ride since i was probably 8 years old. We had probably gone maybe 200 yards when this happened. The train screeched to a hault and the attendant said "ok, thats not normal." Again this wasn't the trains fault. Some old guy who probably shouldn't have been driving tried to beat it across the street and lost. Luckily he and everyone on board were okay. The last photo is the funniest because you see the guy not only hit the train but was driving the wrong way down a one way street. :cartman: :cartman: :cartman:
Attachments
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG (133.57 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG (96.35 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG (105.94 KiB) Viewed 852 times
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby Tornadoman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Wow! That must have been quite a surprise. Glad to see that no one was hurt, but I think the driver may need to relearn the rules of the road! :shock:

Postby Johnson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:06 pm

I imagine a slow motion impact like...

In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby mtn_hikin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Tornadoman wrote:Wow! That must have been quite a surprise. Glad to see that no one was hurt, but I think the driver may need to relearn the rules of the road! :shock:

and perhaps a change of pants

Postby wegerje » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:26 pm

The last photo is the funniest because you see the guy not only hit the train but was driving the wrong way down a one way street.

Actually he was driving on 8th Street and hoping to cross the one way street (Narrow Gauge). But when his judgement of their relative speeds was wrong the train spun the car around 90 degrees during the collision.
Jeff Wegerson

Previous