Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

Postby Scotzman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:26 am

I did a search and didn't see a consistant thread pop up, so forgive me if there is one, because I could envision this being a well beaten topic.

When I was working on my Adirondack 46, I planned ahead and picked the mountain I wanted to finish on and tried to pick one that was in my mind "Enjoyable and worthy of finishing on". Now I know each person has their own definition of what that could be, to some the best view, other total isolation, other one that most friends/family might be able to join on, etc; but from the diversity of viewpoints I am hoping to get a nice range of feedback to help form my own.

From seasoned 14ers I'm curious what you would qualify a reply to a 58 finish statement with: "What a great mountain to finish on!"

Thanks for any thoughts :)
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Re: Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

Postby MountainMedic » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:36 am

What a charged question...depends what you're looking for. I was planning on finishing on Sneffels this weekend but won't be able to due to a broken ankle a couple weeks ago. I would say that's a pretty ideal choice since it's incredibly scenic.

Finishing on the hardest ones would be pretty sweet, too - a bunch of us climbed Capitol with dmccool for his finisher. Great mountain and a great experience.

I think Longs would be a lot of fun, but I certainly wouldn't want to contend with crowds.

Postby blazebo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:36 am

Scotzman wrote:I did a search and didn't see a consistant thread pop up, so forgive me if there is one, because I could envision this being a well beaten topic.

When I was working on my Adirondack 46, I planned ahead and picked the mountain I wanted to finish on and tried to pick one that was in my mind "Enjoyable and worthy of finishing on". Now I know each person has their own definition of what that could be, to some the best view, other total isolation, other one that most friends/family might be able to join on, etc; but from the diversity of viewpoints I am hoping to get a nice range of feedback to help form my own.

From seasoned 14ers I'm curious what you would qualify a reply to a 58 finish statement with: "What a great mountain to finish on!"

Thanks for any thoughts :)

I finished on Capital. Mid week and solo. It was perfect. just me and the mountain.
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.

Postby nfire » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:40 am

if i ever finish it will be on pikes so i can have a kegger with friends on top then get a ride down, ftw

Postby altidude » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:52 am

With ten "left", and mostly scrambles, I've decided that I'll finish on Longs. Big day with a little bit of everything, Longs is the furthest away from me also.
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:56 am

Mt. Sneffels via the Southwest Ridge. :-"
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:56 am

MountainMedic wrote:depends what you're looking for.

Exactly, Tyler (hope you're healing up well).
Are you looking for...
A) A challenging, inspiring climb that takes some effort and delivers hard-won satisfaction?
B) An easier day that allows many people to be part of your finisher and would be less complicated.

If A): Capitol, Sneffels SW Ridge, N. Maroon or Pyramid.
If B): Pikes > Evans. These two allow your family and non-hiker friends to be a part, and to bring party supplies.

I chose Pikes, and was very glad with that. My mom, grandma, and some friends who couldn't make the hike joined me and my friends who hiked with me. Good times.

Jeff, are you trying to drop some sort of hint? Doesn't everyone already know by now that you are finishing on Sneffels this weekend?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby fleetmack » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:59 am

Can't speak for a finisher as I don't plan on finishing them, but I can tell you which one to do second-to-last.

Columbia. My opinion is that one should only climb this once that person is positive he or she will climb all of the 14ers, but don't do it last, because you want to enjoy your final 14er.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Tornadoman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:01 pm

I am halfway there now, having climbed 30 of them. I am starting to think about this as well and am leaning toward leaving Elbert. I would like to have a few friends and family join me, and many of them aren't up for scrambling so sticking to something easy seems to be my strategy.

Postby bj » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:03 pm

While I'm only about 20 summits into the game I've picked Mt. Elbert as well, as my tentative finisher. I'm turning 55 in a couple months and plan to finish at age 60. I'm knocking out the harder mountains while I know I still can and planning to save the easier ones for the end. Next July I plan to finish off the Elks.
Last edited by bj on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..

Postby jdorje » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Opinions differ.

* Pikes or Evans - so your non-climbing friends can meet you at the top.
* Longs, Needle, etc - one of the most "fun" climbs.
* Elbert, Pikes, Longs, etc - a big-name peak you can take your intro-to-climbing friends on.
* Bierstadt, Sherman, etc - a really easy peak that you can carry a keg/hot tub/toaster to the top of.
* Capitol, Little Bear, some great traverse, etc. - one of the hardest peaks.

Of course, it's mostly limited by what you've already climbed when you decide to start thinking about your finisher. By that point, most people have done most of the easy peaks, all the fun peaks, and all of the front range peaks already.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby semitrueskerm » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:05 pm

fleetmack wrote:Can't speak for a finisher as I don't plan on finishing them, but I can tell you which one to do second-to-last.

Columbia. My opinion is that one should only climb this once that person is positive he or she will climb all of the 14ers, but don't do it last, because you want to enjoy your final 14er.

So true.
I'm down to a dozen.
Off all the 14ers, Columbia is the one I'm least looking forward to climbing. Hope to catch it in the winter.

Next