Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

So...Who rode the train

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

So...Who rode the train

Postby mtnfiend » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:44 pm

from Durango to Silverton on the 1st??

The train was what...300-400 yards out of the station when it T-boned the truck?? At one pint I heard (and I don't remember when) that the previous train-vehicle altercation was 16 years ago. Can anyone confirm that?? I wonder if the driver of that truck is an embarrassed (proud??) owner of a ticket?? ](*,)

Roughly 60 packs were taken off the train at Needleton that day, and my sense says that a few of them belonged to 14ers members, so let's see those shots of the truck if you got'em!!!
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Re: So...Who rode the train

Postby DurangoJenn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Here's a short article about the collision that appeared in the Durango Herald:

http://durangoherald.com/article/20120902/NEWS01/709029971/0/SEARCH/Train-truck-collide-downtown

Postby Dan_Suitor » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:06 pm

If you can't remember anything after your first pint, you must be a cheap drunk. Just kidding :lol: . I was not on the train, but I'm sure it was a memorable experience for both the train passengers and the driver of the pickup. :oops:

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:31 am

My train was the day before, so no pics of that from me.

Yeah, there were alot of people up there. We had 50 packs on our train (29th). I talked to a group the next day (the train that hit the truck) and they had 65 on that train. A friend that met me the following day only had 3 packs on that train (Sunday). There were several people around the routes, but I was still by myself on all four peaks, so it really didn't seem all that crowded.

---a trip report will be posted eventually, complete with pics as well as vids of the sunlight block and Eolus catwalk.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby tlongpine » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:16 am

Must be something about Silver Tacoma Trucks with toppers: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21609
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Doug Shaw » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:03 am

tlongpine wrote:Must be something about Silver Tacoma Trucks with toppers: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21609

Get thee to an eye doctor.

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 am

I saw a 14ers member run up to the front of the train and snap a pic....
C'mon Ryan, let's see it!
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:26 am

tlongpine wrote:Must be something about Silver Tacoma Trucks with toppers: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21609

One of my favorite pics of all time. :lol:
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby djkest » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:46 am

That's a Toyota Tundra.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:49 am

This would make for a solid "Don't do Meth" billboard (with a picture of a truck getting plowed over by a train.....going 10mph).

Postby marie123 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:44 am

Ryan (kushrocks) and I were on the train that day! haha, pretty interesting way to start the trip. Ryan got off the train and took several pics - I'll tell him to post them!

Postby tlongpine » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 am

djkest wrote:

That's a Toyota Tundra.

It is indeed. I intended to type silver Toyota trucks with toppers. And, I guess as long as I'm offering edits I mean to say it must be something about the owners.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Next