FKT on Capitol?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

FKT on Capitol?

Post by dnye »

Does John Prater have the FKT on Capitol from TH to TH? What is this time?

Thanks.
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Re: FKT on Capitol?

Post by KeithK »

http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/speed/ ... o14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure how up to date any of that is...
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
dnye
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

That states the FKT on Capitol to be:

Capitol roundtrip

running/hiking Sid Hayes 5h01m42s 8/18/91 trailhead-to-trailhead time.

Sid did the ascent in 2h45m04s.

Bill Wright and John Praterdid 6h07m in the summer of '00.

http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/speed/ ... o14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was just reading this from Anton Krupicka's blog...

9/9/2012
Sun-AM: 3:38, 5400' ~ Capitol Peak (14,130')
Slept at the Capitol Creek TH and started from there. Legs were a bit weak/tired this morning, but the Capitol Ditch trail is enjoyably flat for quite some time so I was able to slowly find a rhythm after a bit. Things were straightforward up to Capitol Lake at 11,500, but I was psyched to finally start gaining some elevation with the grunt up to the Daly saddle at 12,500'. From here the route crosses over to the east side of the ridge and I stayed quite a bit higher than what is probably generally recommended, traversing through some brief, loose 4th Class terrain as I angled up towards K2, the small summit that signals the start of the ridge to Capitol itself. The ridge over to Capitol ended up being more engaging and fun than scary, and with surprisingly solid rock given the crappy stuff that exists all around it. Route-finding from K2 back to the Daly saddle was easier on the way back and then it was just a matter of keeping a solid pace on the flats and rollers on the way back to the TH. Incredible weather this weekend in the Elk Range, with plenty of leaves changing, too. CO autumn at its finest.

Splits:
Capitol Creek crossing - 30:30
Fence - 41:xx
Capitol Lake - 1:08
Daly saddle - 1:22:50
K2 - 1:49:20
Capitol summit - 2:08:40
K2 - 2:26
Daly saddle - 2:47:50
Capitol Lake - 2:53:30
Fence - 3:09
Capitol Creek - 3:16:20
Trailhead - 3:38:22

http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What am I missing? Different trailheads?
WillV
14ers: 52  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WillV »

We meet a guy on Capitol Sunday 9/9/12 who said he did the ascent 2hrs and 9mins. Forgot his name though ](*,). The group on the summit was blown away. That would definitely beat the record of 2hrs 45 mins.

EDIT: That's him!
Last edited by WillV on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dnye
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

WillV wrote:We meet a guy on Capitol Sunday 9/9/12 who said he did the ascent 2hrs and 9mins. Forgot his name though ](*,). The group on the summit was blown away. That would definitely beat the record of 2hrs 45 mins.
Was he shirtless? I am guessing it was Anton
WillV
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WillV »

dnye wrote:
dnye wrote:
WillV wrote:We meet a guy on Capitol Sunday 9/9/12 who said he did the ascent 2hrs and 9mins. Forgot his name though ](*,). The group on the summit was blown away. That would definitely beat the record of 2hrs 45 mins.
Was he shirtless? I am guessing it was Anton
Did he look like the guy at the top of this blog?
http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yup! That was him!
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

WillV,
I shared the summit with you guys and also met the trail runner, briefly. That guy was insane. He looked kinda like Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump during his running episode. I joked that if I had been on the knife edge he probably would have hurdled me as I was scootching along.
summitseeker
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by summitseeker »

Some photographic evidence:
Capitol Peak summit
Capitol Peak summit
photo (3).JPG (98.2 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
lemurtech
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lemurtech »

He was on Maroon on Saturday. He and his partner stopped at the saddle for a bit and we talked. We didn't know who he was at the moment but figured it out later.
WillV
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WillV »

MonGoose wrote:WillV,
I shared the summit with you guys and also met the trail runner, briefly. That guy was insane. He looked kinda like Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump during his running episode. I joked that if I had been on the knife edge he probably would have hurdled me as I was scootching along.
Ah OK. Nice meeting you MonGoose! My climbing partner was Josh (summitseeker).
dnye
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

lemurtech wrote:He was on Maroon on Saturday. He and his partner stopped at the saddle for a bit and we talked. We didn't know who he was at the moment but figured it out later.
Yeah, looks like he did a nice "easy" 3:08 RT of the Bells on Saturday. :lol:

Splits:
Crater Lake - 18:55
East Slope turn-off - 39:25
South Ridge - 1:22:00
Maroon summit - 1:44:50
Saddle - 1:50:55
N. Maroon summit - 2:10:45
Rock glacier exit - 2:39:15
Buckskin Pass Tr - 2:49:00
Crater Lake - 2:55:25
Parking Lot - 3:07:58
summitseeker
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by summitseeker »

Read some of his blog and running times articles and am completely in awe...and feel out of shape climbing Capitol in 7 hours yesterday...from Capitol Lake. :roll: