Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bike to the summit of Mt Evans?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Bike to the summit of Mt Evans?

Postby zoriloco » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 am

I heard the road to Mt Evans has already been closed, so here is my question. Are bicicles allowed to still travel on it and what is the mileage to the summit parking lot?

Thanks!

Re: Bike to the summit of Mt Evans?

Postby mountaingoat-G » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 am

Sure, just hop the gate (unless they are doing some mainetance).

Iv'e gone up by bike in spring before the road is open and ran into snow at various points. It's nice up there without the cars...

about 14 miles from Echo Lake to summit parking lot.
About 28 miles if done from Idaho Springs.

It's not too bad of a climb if the weather is good and not done at race-pace, IMO. Starting from Echo Lake is much easier than starting at either Bergan Park or Idaho Springs.

Postby blazebo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:06 am

as of this week, you can now bike pikes peak as well. longer push but cars and idiot texans are still an issue.
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.

Postby peter303 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:09 am

Looks like a significant snow dusting for several days starting Wednesday.
Better do it today or tomorrow.

Postby mtgirl » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 am

If you go tomorrow, the annual 9/11 Firefighter Memorial Climb is taking place on Mt. Evans. They are also having a "bike the road" option this year. Join a good cause that raises money for the Fallen Firefighters Foundation. I'll be there doing the hike.......it's been a tradition of mine for the last few years.

http://firefighter14er.com/
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby craftymatt » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:24 am

After the gate closes is the best time to go on a bike; no cars means you really can own the road/lane. My friend and I biked up last year around this time; the gate was closed at Summit Lake so we could make the final push to the summit in peace.

Probably my favorite ride I've ever done; I highly recommend it!

Postby zoriloco » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 am

I wish I could do it today or tomorrow, but I have to work. Ill probably wait for a clearing in the weather and take a day off work next week.

Postby USAKeller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

zoriloco wrote:I heard the road to Mt Evans has already been closed, so here is my question. Are bicicles allowed to still travel on it and what is the mileage to the summit parking lot?

Thanks!

Yep, just skirt around the gate - I saw a few handfulls of cyclists doing that yesterday.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby justiner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Just road up the other day. Tons of fun. Lots of walkers on the road. Walking the road to the summit? Madness.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby justiner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Another option is to ride up Guanella Pass, from Georgetown and then take a hike, choosing from one of the various routes from the top of the pass. You have a few choices: Evans, Bierstadt, traverse the Sawtooth, Flattop... uh... Otter Mountain. I would suggest getting an early start!
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby blazebo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:27 pm

justiner wrote:Just road up the other day. Tons of fun. Lots of walkers on the road. Walking the road to the summit? Madness.

who the (BEEP) would walk a paved road up a mountain? i guess the same DB's that would put a road up there to begin with
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.

Postby justiner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:50 pm

blazebo wrote:who the (BEEP) would walk a paved road up a mountain? i guess the same DB's that would put a road up there to begin with

Perhaps - it's just a looooong and boring way to get up the mountain, as there's two easy-ish alternatives from Summit Lake: The route straight up the Northeast Face from ~ mile marker 10 of the road. This route is unmarked and somewhat of a boring slog, but you'll cut out a good 4ish miles of walking all those switchbacks.

The other route is really enjoyable: West Ridge via Mt. Spalding - much more prettier and half the distance. I get the feeling that most of the road-walkers don't know about the hiking routes, or see them as far over their abilities.

For Brownie Points - ride the bike to Summit Lake, once it does start to get a bit more snowy and take it from there! I've been meaning to do the West Gully, but that'll have to wait till Spring.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

Next