When will snow become a factor on Barr Trail?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MoonNerd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MoonNerd »

We had a trip to hike Pikes Peak recently cancelled, and are trying to reschedule it. If you had to guess, how many more weeks would we have before snow would become an issue at the top of the trail? We are class 2 hikers without crampons, snowshoes, etc. Thanks for any advice.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: When will snow become a factor on Barr Trail?

Post by Scott P »

As soon as there is a big snowstorm.

Any answer beyond that would be a guess and even the best weatherman in the world couldn't predict that without getting lucky.

As for my guess, I'll say late October.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
MoonNerd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MoonNerd »

Thanks Scott. That helps. We were looking at early October. From past memory I remember the big snowstorms hitting the last half of October but I figure you guys may remember better than I do.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

During the evening news, the local weather guy was forecasting a cold front moving in on Tuesday and "a possibility of snow in the mountains" around Colorado Springs for Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

Let it snow!
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

It's rare that snow is much of an issue on the Barr before late October/early November. Even an early season blizzard usually melts off fast.

There's a reason no ski resort has ever survived on Pikes Peak, it just doesn't get near the snow that the western slope mountains do.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
ed20320
14ers: 56  10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ed20320 »

I've climbed Pikes Peak 4 times in the winter and have never had any snow issues. I've climbed it once in February and three times in december. the first time i went on the mountain, i brought crampons, ice axe, tent and everything else you would normally bring for a winter climb. the last time i climbed it, i brought only food, a sleeping bag, sleeping pad and cloths. i quickly realized that i could hike up to the alpine hut (10 miles and 5000 ft) at tree line and sleep. climbing the east face direct didn't require any crampons or axe. below the alpine hut, you are totally protected by the trees.

my december climbs i did on the winter equinox and started out after dark. hiking the Barr trail at night was total blast. even without a full moon, there is enough ambient light that you don't need a head lamp. sleep as long as you want at the apline hut and climb the east face direct at your leisure. its a great climb, but don't underestimate the 26 mile RT and 7200 feet.

good luck.

Ed
Defy Gravity
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

I'm scheduled to do the trek on 10/5... I'll file a TR and let you know how it goes.
blazebo
14ers: 58  2  18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blazebo »

CO Native wrote:It's rare that snow is much of an issue on the Barr before late October/early November. Even an early season blizzard usually melts off fast.

There's a reason no ski resort has ever survived on Pikes Peak, it just doesn't get near the snow that the western slope mountains do.
this past year, we were running to barr camp in Feb and march without but a patch or two of snow. year before that you needed snowshoes in december. Lets hope this year is as good!
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.
ylingli
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ylingli »

I hiked it last year in late October. It was sunny at the summit, and the trail was completely snow-free. There were patches of snow off the trail, but nothing actually on the trail and we wore running shoes. Hopefully, we'll get lucky again this October! :-D
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Maybe much earlier than anyone expects.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

http://www.springsgov.com/units/pikespeak/

Accumulating snow on Pikes right now.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.