Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Disturbed: Backpack/Phones Missing

Post lost and found items here.

Disturbed: Backpack/Phones Missing

Postby semitrueskerm » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi All-

An annoying and bizarre day...asking for help and/or thoughts...
I am in Aspen, and was planning to do the Bells Traverse.

On the trail this morning, around 8:30 am...(late start, but I purposely started later with a great forecast daylong.) I took a break to put on sunscreen halfway between Maroon Trailhead and Crater lake...just short of the Pyramid turnoff. Got up and left and went about 300 feet up the trail around a bend. I quickly realized I had left my climbing gloves behind at the place I stopped. I dropped my backpack on the trail...and walked back to grab my gloves. Got my gloves...passed a few groups of hikers...when I got back to pick up my backpack...it was gone. I wasn't away from the pack more than 3 minutes. I did a quick survey of the area and ran up to a few hikers to ask if they had seen the backpack...right on the trail. They had not. I concluded one of three things had happened. 1. Someone took it thinking it was lost/left behind. 2. Someone stole it. 3. An animal got it and took it. I spent about 15 more minutes searching and asking hikers if they had seen it. Nothing. I immediately high tailed it back to the trailhead, about .5 mile away. I wanted to catch up with anyone who may have hiked out with it...and, more importantly, make sure that if the pack was stolen, they hadn't gotten in it and got to my car key and stolen my Jeep. Got back....Jeep was still there. Spoke with Rangers on site and explained the situation. They agreed to keep an eye on my car and if anyone would turn it in. I went back up the trail to the area and spent 2.5 hours scouring the area and surrounding area. Nothing.
Got back to my car around noon...had to go to visitors center and have them call AAA to get someone up to the parking lot to break into my car so I could get my spare keys...which were inside the car. $125 and 2 hours later, I got into my car. I checked with the Ranger Station, who then did a full 2-way walkie talkie check around the area...no backpack turned it. They recommended I go into Aspen and file a missing/stolen backpack report, which I just did. Now, I am finally going to get something to eat. I haven't had anything since 7 am...
Heading back after I eat to try again to scour the trail in case a bear or something got the pack and took it. I did have food in there, but it was sealed in tuperware. I also can't believe an aminal would have gotten it...the pack was heavy...with 4 liters of water. Unfortunately, it also has both my personal and work iPhone in it. Also in the pack...a two month old Canon camera (the one I bought to replace the one I lost...then recovered...two months ago.) My GoPro Camera was also in there. Even worse, my inner North face liner, Livestrong pullover, car key, headlamp and a few other small equipment items.
Say some prayers that this turns up.
Aspen Sheriff's department took report...I will check back with them tomorrow. They don't think anyone would have taken the pack. I can't imagine anyone would either? Doesn't make sense. But, I recall a couple of teens skirting through the woods...off trail...when I was returning to my pack. I'm worried those teens might have grabbed it and dashed. But, I can't believe that would happen. (If it was stolen, I'm lucky my Jeep wasn't stolen with the key inside the pack.)
Sheriff's deputy thinks either an animal got it (but, I scoured the area for 2.5 hours this morning...not trace of anything) or someone has it and will turn it in.
This is annoying and doesn't make sense. 4 minutes...at most...was all I was separated from it. Angry at myself...very angry. But, at this point, I just want to find out what happened.
Anyway, e-mail is the only way to reach me now, as both of my phones are gone. if anyone knows anything, i can be e-mailed at semitrueskerm@yahoo.com. Incidently, iPhone tracking may be an option the Sheriff will pursue tomorrow, but both of my phones were turned on airplane mode, since I was deep in the forest and out of range. (Searching would have drained teh batteries.)
The only good news is that my wallet was in the car, so i still have all my id's etc.
Thoughts?

--jim

Re: Disturbed: Backpack/Phones Missing

Postby 14erFred » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:32 pm

So sorry this happened to you, Jim. Hoping and praying your pack and personal belongings will turn up soon.

Postby Sixpoint » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:38 pm

Jim,
I really hope you are able to locate your pack, what a loss...
You may want to consider a remote "wipe" of your iPhone to remove access to any personal information (apps that allow purchases, email, potential links to your address, etc.). That way you are protected in the event that someone really did steal you phone. If you are backed up to the cloud it is a simple process to restore everything once you get a new phone. Even if you have the phone password protected, it is fairly easy for a thief to get past (your fingerprints leave a pattern on the screen). Learned this by experience. - I felt safer knowing that the thief didn't know where I live - they had my car keys also.....

Postby dehrlich101 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Jim - Hope you find your stuff. This kind of thing really makes for a horrible weekend.

Have you tried going on iCloud and using the Find my phone option? Since your phone is in airplane mode it will show it as being offline. There is an box at the bottom "Email me when this iPhone is found" That way you'll get a notification "IF" the phone is turned back on by whoever has it.

https://www.icloud.com

Sorry if you've already thought of this.. Just brainstorming some ideas.

Good luck
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby Doctor No » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Wow - that sucks. Good luck, Jim!

Postby Dex » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:26 pm

semitrueskerm wrote:Got back to my car around noon...had to go to visitors center and have them call AAA to get someone up to the parking lot to break into my car so I could get my spare keys...which were inside the car. $125 and 2 hours later, I got into my car.

Last year two runaways from Utah were camping near Huron and broke into people's car for CCs and things to sell.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby MountainDawg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Perhaps it was the "yee naaldlooshii" (dun dun duuuuuun).

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Sorry to hear!!! Many Cell carriers have a "Tracking" feature that you can "Turn on" if you have not already. If your phone is "On" and "in range" you can pinpoint its location down to 35'.

Good luck to you!! Verizon calls it "Family Locator" AT&T calls it "Family Map"

Postby semitrueskerm » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:53 pm

backpack found, fully intact at 730 tonite. not sure what happened. minimal rodent knawing, that's all. dont think a big animal moved it. was found off trail. thanks for suggestions and concern. relieved beyond imagination. i didnt summit anything but probably did 3000 vertical scouring mountain for hours.... :)

Postby sunny1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Wow, that's a huge relief - what a tough day!
Glad you found it!!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Glad to hear everything worked out for you, Jim. You earned your good karma when you found my lost camera!
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby 14erFred » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Great news, Jim! Sorry you had to endure the hassle, but glad to hear you've found your pack!

Next