Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Ranking System

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Dog Ranking System

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:57 pm

d_baker wrote:
IanG wrote:We don't hike barefoot, neither should them.

You should read this report.

Yeah, but pglover is at the top of the Peckering order.

Postby Cassa-Frassa » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Belford/Oxford were great for my dog, and he has summited 13 peaks with me now, but with what I have left on my list, I've give an up on taking him along. Multiple grazed/lacerated paws and lost booties, as well as having to build a make-shift stretcher to carry him down antero has more than convinced me that my doggie companion time is done. However if your dog will wear the booties better than mine, you can climb a solid 20 14ers with your pooch. Avoid Democrat/lincolnBross/cameron, antero, elbert (probably)

Postby peter303 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:28 pm

CaptPenner wrote:How does my off leash dog carrying my gun in his doggie pack factor into the dog ranking system?

Hipefully this is just a joke. A responsible gun user NEVER lets a gun out of her/his immediate control when it out of storage. A pet could run away. A kid could start playing with the pet.

Postby CaptPenner » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Yes, it is a joke and I should have used that pink lettering. Usually a Carry Concealed or a Dog off Leash comment will ruffle a few feathers. We all know that letting a dog carry a gun would be irresponsible (unless crossing the sawtooth....yess, I went there too). ](*,)

Postby CaptPenner » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:53 pm

SORRY

Postby 434stonemill » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:07 pm

Guns don't kill people. Dogs carrying guns may or may not kill people.

Seriously, a ranking system for dogs is really impractical. It all depends on your dog. My dog will climb most anything. But descending is a whole different situation. He honestly is a bit of a wuss. He has the ability to jump a significant height/distance but is tentative to do so. So when down climbing through boulder field will be very hesitant. Knowing this, I am hesitant to take him on any Class 3 mountains. Another dog of the same breed could likely handle a Class 3, but my with dog's personality, he won't be having fun. I realize this and will not take him up a more than a Class 2 climb. It's like knowing you child. What they are capable of and comfortable on. You can slightly push a child beyond their comfort zone for small time to try to get them to learn to expand their abilities. But I think with dogs, I wouldn't try to do the same.

Postby klinger » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:18 am

tldr, based on thread title, my dog = rank #1

the rest of your dogs all rank a very awesome #2

dog haters = nobody cares

Postby India Pale Ale » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:35 am

I agree that a difficulty ranking for dogs would not be worth the time to compile it due to the huge differences in dogs abilities and personalities. I love taking my dog with me but I would not take her on anything higher than class 2+, and I also worry about some of the rougher talus routes. I also agree that you should be prepared to carry your dog all the way down if it comes to that, so that affects some of the routes I can take her on.

Having said that, I think a list of all 14ers with dog only specific notes would be helpful. Stuff like "sharp talus for 3 miles" or "water available year round at x and y on the route". Or even something like the trailhead reports - "80lb lab made it easily", "Corgi had bleeding paws at 2.5 miles" etc. Even without that, all the photos and trip reports that are here have made it pretty easy for me to figure out what my dog can do. The photos are especially helpful. There are a couple routes I want to do and see for myself before I take my dog, where it would help, but the trip reports make most of the routes a clear cut yes or no.

Postby SilverLynx » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:45 am

Another dog thread....
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby scalba123 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:31 am

SilverLynx wrote:Another dog thread....

Maybe Bill can create a separate "14ers4dogs.com" website...

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:04 pm

434stonemill wrote:Guns don't kill people. Dogs carrying guns may or may not kill people.

What about dogs who kick down guns on people without warning? I'm gonna bring a bulletproof vest from now on.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Fairchild Mountain

Postby MountainDawg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:57 pm

My dawg always yells "heater" when he drops his "gatt" (he's gangsta').

PreviousNext