Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Jacket Decision

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Winter Jacket Decision

Postby MountainMedic » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Obviously people wear a lot of different stuff and you'll be getting lots of different advice. I'm a Patagoniac myself, but my underlying philosophy is that there is no such thing as "winter" clothing. Pretty much all of my stuff gets worn all four seasons.

Upper Body:
Patagonia Cap3 layer
Patagonia Cap4 1/4 zip layer
Patagonia down sweater OR Arcteryx Sniper Jacket
Patagonia Super Alpine Hardshell Jacket OR Patagonia Super Guide Jacket

Lower Body:
Patagonia Cap4 bottoms, only when subzero
Patagonia insulated softshell pants, no longer made

I'd love to throw a hooded softshell in there, but I really don't need it. I'll admit that it's taken me years to accrue this gear - I've gotten it all at sales - but it really is worth it. Every single upper body article gets worn year-round. Don't invest in a "winter" jacket unless you're climbing some very big and very cold mountains.

As for the stuff you've listed - the Traverse and the Houdini will do NOTHING. Throwing on a Patagonia wind shell in a Colorado winter is like pissing on the Woodland Park fire. Make a good shell your first priority, and check out sales at GoLite (awesome hooded softshells) and Patagonia web specials.

Postby snowymountainsrock » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Oman wrote:This Sierra Designs Vapor jacket softshell is a dead ringer for the great old but sadly departed Patagonia Ascensionist jackehttp://www.backcountry.com/sierra-designs-vapor-hooded-softshell-jacket-mens

$55 at backcountry.com, but got mine for $50 on steepandcheap.

So this jacket is good for the winter and snow? Does it fit a helmet?

Postby rking007 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:45 pm

I was just at Costco today and they had piles of lighter 800 fill down jackets for $60. No hood. Probably more of a walking around town jacket but also may make a halfway decent bridge mid layer while saving up for a better piece.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:32 pm

If you're going to do winter 14ers, have a clothing back-up plan.

Down works great. A hooded down jacket is nice security to have. Don't forget pants. Patagonia makes some side-zip micro-puff pants that I'll be packing this winter. Last winter I had some off-brand insulated ski-pant thing that would fit over boots, 16 oz, cheap.

You should never have to dig into your back-up plan, and never begrudge carrying the back-up plan up and down peaks all winter, and never using it. I may also add a jet-boil in the back-up plan this winter for water.

This all sounds like a lot of weight, but I swear to you, I am truly an ultralight weenie.

Heck, you should see what Globreal packs in winter.

Postby rking007 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:23 am

You should never have to dig into your back-up plan, and never begrudge carrying the back-up plan up and down peaks all winter, and never using it.

I couldn't agree more. Not only are there less than a tenth of the people on any 14er during the winter, it seems like the chain of events that need to happen for the worse to happen speeds up probably ten times faster. Not only am I building up the backup gear, I fully plan on being able to emergency bivy for a night during the winter this year.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby Dex » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:47 am

rking007 wrote:
I fully plan on being able to emergency bivy for a night during the winter this year.

Which one are you looking at? I have the SOL 2 person blanket but thinking something else might be good.

I'd also suggest some simple insulation. I carry this:
http://www.rei.com/product/374113/standard-blue-foam-sit-pad
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby rking007 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:02 am

Dex wrote:
rking007 wrote:
I fully plan on being able to emergency bivy for a night during the winter this year.

Which one are you looking at? I have the SOL 2 person blanket but thinking something else might be good.

I'd also suggest some simple insulation. I carry this:
http://www.rei.com/product/374113/standard-blue-foam-sit-pad

I like that sit pad, how collapsible is it? Folding? Rolled? I so far have the Sol Escape Bivy. I splurged and got the breathable one. I also have that basic red on one side, silver on the other side REI tarp/blanket. Both together are just over a pound and don't take up much room at all.

Postby climbingaggie03 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:46 pm

rking007 wrote:I like that sit pad, how collapsible is it? Folding? Rolled? I so far have the Sol Escape Bivy. I splurged and got the breathable one. I also have that basic red on one side, silver on the other side REI tarp/blanket. Both together are just over a pound and don't take up much room at all.

I use a piece of foam similar to the blue pad and it's not super collapsible, but what I do is fold it in half and stick it next the the framesheet on my pack. Gives the frame a bit more rigidity and pads my back a bit. I suppose you could roll it and stick it on the outside of your pack so it'd be more accessible but it'd also be more susceptible to having pieces ripped off by boulders and branches. I mostly use mine to put under my feet when I use a 3/4 length thermarest or if I ever have a forced bivy, I can plop that under my bum and get ready to shiver, which is generally my winter 14er survival plan. Keep walking, if for some reason you can't walk, find a sheltered spot, put all your clothes on, sit on the foam pad, shiver the night away. It's not a super pleasant plan, but it works.

Postby Dex » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:10 pm

rking007 wrote:I like that sit pad, how collapsible is it? Folding? Rolled? I so far have the Sol Escape Bivy. I splurged and got the breathable one. I also have that basic red on one side, silver on the other side REI tarp/blanket. Both together are just over a pound and don't take up much room at all.

I roll it and it can fit on the side of a Osprey Talon 22 - I'd guess it is 5-6 inches wide. I think it is a good safety item in winter. Your back pack can keep your back off the snow and the pad can keep you hips and a few inches more off the ground. Also, it is nice to sit on when you take a rest - you stay warmer and you butt doesn't get wet.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby TallGrass » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:24 am

While discussing jackets, anyone use and have some feedback on Patagonia's Solar Wind Jacket?
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby bogman2121 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 am

Didn't want to start a new thread but I'm looking at my closet trying to decide if I need anything other than an R1.

Is the Super Cell a great piece of gear and is my Kepler comparable?
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Kepler%E2%84%A2-Jacket/OM4151,default,pd.html
www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-super-cell-waterproof-jacket-with-gore-tex?p=83820-0-175

I assume my Gamma MX is a fine replacement for a Simple Guide.
http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Gamma-MX-Hoody#Softshell
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-simple-guide-jacket?p=83746-1-886

I've also got an R2 for the colder days so unless someone recommends a vest in addition to the R1 I want, got any good ideas for pants?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:08 am

smrcka wrote:"Pit zips and others are important. I'm constantly using them."

Uh-oh, it's a good thing the Baron isn't around to read that statement!

ImageActually, pitzips are quite handy on an inadequately breathable garment.

Previous