Little Bear fixed ropes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
blazebo
14ers: 58  2  18 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Little Bear fixed ropes

Post by blazebo »

rijaca wrote:
blazebo wrote:...but i brought this one for my wife and left it for good use. that said, i would not have used it even a week later had i been back up there. hail, rain, fat people, marmots goats, pika, texans and especially the SUN all take their toll on nylon and that is not something i would bet my life on! [-X
Then why did you leave it?
doing my part to help Darwin. no free rides. everybody has to contribute.
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

rijaca wrote:
blazebo wrote:...but i brought this one for my wife and left it for good use. that said, i would not have used it even a week later had i been back up there. hail, rain, fat people, marmots goats, pika, texans and especially the SUN all take their toll on nylon and that is not something i would bet my life on! [-X
My thoughts too. Experienced hikers who know not to trust the rope will not use it anyways, but inexperienced ones might pull on it just to be safe and learn the hard way.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

blazebo wrote:
rijaca wrote:
I would call it irresponsible and lazy. [-X
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Sgt_Wilky
14ers: 17 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Sgt_Wilky »

blazebo wrote:
rijaca wrote:
Jerk.jpg
Jerk.jpg (105.98 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
"The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end" -Genghis Khan

"I sat on top and was immediately addicted. I must do more of this." -SuperPolok

"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." -Jean Paul Richter
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

blazebo wrote: .....it was a solid rope that i had retired.....not that it needed to be retired.....i brought this one for my wife.....i would not have used it.....not something i would bet my life on!
When you read these parts of that post, funniest post of the day. :lol:

Still, if it was so "solid", then why retire it? :lol:
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
blazebo
14ers: 58  2  18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blazebo »

MUni Rider wrote:
blazebo wrote: .....it was a solid rope that i had retired.....not that it needed to be retired.....i brought this one for my wife.....i would not have used it.....not something i would bet my life on!
When you read these parts of that post, funniest post of the day. :lol:

Still, if it was so "solid", then why retire it? :lol:
ha. too bad i love my wife more than you all. as stated, retired from a superstition whipper. not that i expect you folks that need a rope on 50 feet of class 4 to understand what that is. in fact i set it up for my wife and didnt use it that day, not because i deidnt trust it, but out of boredom. how boring it must be to climb with no risk. calculate the risks/rewards with experience, judgment weather etc. that is what climbing is all about.

I left the rope knowing it was solid for folks to climb on if the chose to do so. and i have seen photos posted of folks doing just that and living to tell about it. i have used much worse cords than this in a pinch. I cant prevent every idiot from hurting themselves out there, although i am sure this line did help some folks from NOT hurting themselves.
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Dogs, guns, hot tubs, ropes on Little Bear. :deadhorse: :cartman:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
MountainDawg
14ers: 58  8  23 
13ers: 119
Trip Reports (4)

Post by MountainDawg »

MountainHiker wrote:Dogs, guns, hot tubs, ropes on Little Bear. :deadhorse: :cartman:
+1
soybean56
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 210 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by soybean56 »

So, what's the condition of the hourglass and/or the fixed ropes there for those who hiked it recently?

Thanks
pkripper
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pkripper »

I would call it irresponsible and lazy.

I fully agree.
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Ok, Ok I am going to wade into the "Little Bear Rap Rope Rap Anchor Swamp" and take one for the team here as there are beginners and novices who are reading and saying "WTF are they talking about?" or may not understand the gravity of what is being discussed (Did I say gravity?)

Knife between my teeth.......(oh, wait they use guns on Little Bear now) swimming out with the gators...................

I climbed Little Bear "standard route" this June on a Friday. On the way down, my climbing partner and I cut out ALL the rotten and damaged webbing anchors. Inspected the 3 ropes that were there, cut one damaged one out. Just because it looked good on Friday at 9AM doesn't make it SAFE on Saturday or At 10AM on Friday for that matter as it is an unattended piece of gear in a "Shooting Gallery" (Did I say shooting?)

It could be brand new gear attached to a steel piling, but left in that trough and I would suggest you either "inspect every inch" provided you know what you are doing or avoid pre installed systems entirely as it only takes one rock or a 1/2 tied water knot someone got distracted on to ruin your day.

That said, if you are committed to rapping down "The Glass"?? Take two 70m ropes, 10M of 2" webbing, 2 rap rings and install your own system.

Just sayin
lackerstef
14ers: 49 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by lackerstef »

I used it today on LB but only as a safety back up. Great condition.