Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Canyoneering Fest Oct 19-21.

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Canyoneering

Postby Scott P » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:15 am

It sounds like people are interested. We'll have to get some trips together for the upcoming season.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Scott P » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:20 am

I'm throwing a canyoneering gathering together on October 19-21 for those interested. It will either be at the Robbers Roost or the Lost Springs area of Arches NP.

Just wondering who is interested.

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:17 am

We've been planning to make a trip out to the Roost this Fall, and would definitely be interested in joining up with any of you 14'er canyoneering types if we can make the schedules work.

I've got climbing and rappelling experience, and wouldn't mind checking out some technical slots. I'm equally interested in non-technical slots if that's what people want to do. My girlfriend hasn't yet done anything involving rope work (though she is a very strong hiker), and we've been wanting to get her in some slot canyons this season. It definitely might be nice to hook up with a group for her first time on a rope though.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Scott P wrote:I'm throwing a canyoneering gathering together on October 19-21 for those interested. It will either be at the Robbers Roost or the Lost Springs area of Arches NP.

Just wondering who is interested.

I can most likely do that ...

Roost may be better than Arches ?

Postby semitrueskerm » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Interested in the Roost.
Also interested in doing full Buckskin Gulch... Anyone?

Postby Brian C » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:32 pm

I think I can do that. I'd want to carpool though. Anybody else from the Front Range?
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby mountaingoat-G » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 am

Brian C wrote:I think I can do that. I'd want to carpool though. Anybody else from the Front Range?

Yes, I would be interested in carpooling, live close to the dinosaur lots on I-70.

Postby DanR » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 pm

mountaingoat-G wrote:
Brian C wrote:I think I can do that. I'd want to carpool though. Anybody else from the Front Range?

Yes, I would be interested in carpooling, live close to the dinosaur lots on I-70.

Also interested in carpooling from the front range, though there is some possibility that my circumstances may change in a way that either prevents me from attending or causes me to be driving from somewhere else.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:37 am

Scott,

Have you decided on the location yet? Hidden Springs or Roost?
Thanks...

Postby Sky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:13 am

Interested...Keep me in the loop
"It is better to have and not need, then to need and not have"

"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go"

Postby mtndude3737 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:16 pm

michelle wrote:We (myself, husband & 10 year old son) are interested. We have no canyoneering experience but have really wanted to do this. We have harnesses, rope, atc. . . could you tell us any other equipment which would be required? Are wet suits needed? Is a dry bag a necessity or just a "nice to have"? I've checked out canyoneering gear lists on line but would appreciate some feedback.

Thank you

Michelle -It totally depends on the canyon you do, and the weather. After a desert storm, a normally dry, easy canyon can become much more difficult. I have done Little Wild Horse/Bell without a drop of water, and another time in early spring did it and had to wade chest deep for 100 yards in freezing water while it was snowing. The best thing to do is get a guide book or go to www.climb-utah.com and start out with some easier ones. There are tons of canyons south of Green River on the San Rafael swell that are everything from easy to expert. Some you have to be very good with rope work and stemming, others you have to be able to tolerate wading or swimming through water. The closest ones to Denver are the "Yellow Cat" canyons. There are 4 really cool slot canyons there that all have some form of rapelling/down climbing, they are somewhat short, and usually have no water in them. See: http://climb-utah.com/Moab/wintercamp.htm for one of them. The drive is only about 2 hours west of Grand Junction. These canyons only require a map, rope, and harness/belay devices. You do have to sign up and pay to access all of the climb-utah maps and details, but it has been worth it to me.

Like anything, start small and work your way up. Soon you will be doing Choprock with wetsuits, dry bags, climbing gear, and having a real blast!
choprock.jpg
choprock.jpg (105.53 KiB) Viewed 172 times
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby Scott P » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Have you decided on the location yet? Hidden Springs or Roost?

Not yet, waiting to hear from the majority and see who all is going.

Roost has more canyons, but many of us interested in the gathering have already been to many canyons there (including me) and since last year's location was in the Roost, a change might be nice. Roost would be better for large groups since there are more canyons to spread out in. Lost Springs might not be as good for a large group, but perfectly fine for a big one.

The Lost Springs canyons are pretty easy (the same ones mentioned in the above post), the Roost has some easy and some quite hard ones. I've done most of the known canyons there (and several little known ones) and have my eye on a "new" canyon, but would need a rope gun to come with.

Anyway, for anyone who has a preference, let me know. I'll check with the others going as well.

The closest ones to Denver are the "Yellow Cat" canyons.

Dinosaur is closer. We'll have to all do some of those ones sometime too.

PreviousNext