Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

new hiker here

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

new hiker here

Postby uncle_adam80907 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:21 am

I successfully hiked up Pikes Peak within the last week,but want to hit atleast one more 14er before the season ends. Whats nearby to Colorado Springs? I was thinking about Lincoln, Bross and Democrat.. any suggestions?

Re: new hiker here

Postby zdero1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:32 am

Congratulations! Pikes is a great first 14er!

No other 14ers relatively close to C.S., but if you're willing to make the drive out to DeCaLiBro it seems like it would take a similar amount of time to get to any sawatch peak with the exception of Holy Cross. All the Sawatch peaks are non-technical (standard routes) and many are easily accessed by 2wd vehicles. DeCaLiBro would be a great 2nd climb...you get 4 peaks in a 7 mile loop (if peakbagging is important to you). Sherman and Quandary are nearby and are often among the first several 14ers climbed from what I have observed. If you want spectacular summit views I would suggest Huron Peak. A nice short and sweet route. If you're looking for a long and scenic hike Humbolt appears to fit that description (I have only seen through pics and heard stories of Humboldt, have yet to climb it).

The weather appears to be fantastic in the Sawatch this weekend. Which ever peak you choose, I hope you have a blast and stay safe.

Postby huffy13 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:37 am

Humboldt is a good one that isn't too far south from the Springs. The Decalibron Loop is good if you are wanting to bag a bunch of peaks at once, but the slog down Bross sucks big time. My personal opinion, if you are wanting to stay near the Denver area, would be to head up to Grays and Torreys...it will be crowded on the weekends but on a weekday won't be too bad. The scenery is better at G/T too, again, in my opinion. But overall, Humboldt is a great day...what route did you take up Pikes? Humboldt's west ridge would be comparable to the Crag's route.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby Hunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:53 am

+1 for DeCaLiBro...
#2 Sherman, #3 Bierstadt, #4 Quandary, #5 G&T I put last in this option list only due to incomplete beta on your transportation beta: the last time we were up Steven's Gulch road it had significantly deteriorated from the beginning of the year (~30 yards only) just after the sign that reads 1.4 miles from the trailhead where the road turns left around a corner (Have clearance will travel). Yes, there are folks on here taking their sedans, but I wouldn't recommend it. Hope this helps.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby aliciaf » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:28 am

In regards to what Hunter said. The road to the G/T TH has recently been improved. I was there two weekends ago and it's completely fine for a 2wd car.

As far as your question, the DeCaLiBro route is a great way to knock some peaks off. I'll also agree that Humboldt is a very pretty hike.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:30 am

Better hurry. Time is not on your side. Although it's dry now, with rain in the 'cast today this almost always means snow up high in September. I won't get out in the field (Four Mile Road or Weston Pass) until October and I expect general, albeit thin snow cover by then.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby edhaman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:28 am

The road to Grays was graded a few weeks ago and is in good shape. Just about any car should be able to make it up there. People, please take a look at the "Trailhead Status" before making comments about a road you haven't been on lately.

Postby huffy13 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:37 am

Hey Adam, what are you going to be driving to the TH? That does make a significant impact as to what is feasible.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby Hunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:46 am

edhaman- I always look at the TH status and your comments have been noted, but the last posted TH status update dated 08/25 (13 days ago) echos what I mentioned above. Similar comments also mentioned in the status update dated 08/20/12. If you have more current beta you should post it on the TH status update for all to see.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby edhaman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:55 pm

Sorry if my last post was abrupt. On various threads over the past couple of weeks I’ve seen probably half a dozen posts suggesting a 4WD high clearance vehicle is required for the Grays trailhead, and making reference to road conditions from before the “recent” grading of the road. It left me with the impression that some people were making suggestions without checking the trailhead status reports.

Regarding the most recent status report, I think that Aug. 25 is quite recent, and, absent any more recent events like a torential downpour, is probably a good indication of current conditions. With the reports before the grading, I had decided not to drive up there in my Honda CR-V. But once I saw the first couple of reports after grading, I felt comfortable making the trip -- even though those reports were a week old.

I was there on Aug. 18, so I don't have any more current information. Someone else posted the status that day, so I didn't duplicate it.