Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Jacket Decision

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Winter Jacket Decision

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:07 am

SurfNTurf wrote:
kansas wrote:Edit: I don't see where Patagonia is offering a Guide jacket with hood this season? Am I missing something? If its available, that would be a great choice, as Derek and Surf say.

I had to search the site for "Guide Hoody" and it popped up on sale for $125. Must be left over from last year and for whatever reason they didn't bring it back.

I've had the chance to play with the First Ascent 18K Jacket a bit and it meets all the criteria, as well. The Colorado Mills Eddie Bauer outlet has a TON right now for half-off.

The Guide Hoody can be had for $64.99 right now. I've been thinking about getting one except for the fact that Outdoor Gear Lab completely eviscerates the jacket giving it one out of five stars.

Outdoor Gear Lab wrote:The Patagonia Guide Hoody is a most disappointing softshell. It excels at nothing, has neither unique nor performance-oriented features, and worst of all, it doesn’t look good.
Last edited by Dave B on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Carl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:08 am

RamanDestroyer wrote:So basically I'll need the jacket to be waterproof, wind resistant, light and helmet capable.

Do you have any suggestions (maybe around $200-$350 range)?

If you wear a size large http://14ers.com/php14ers/gearclass.php?entry=1614&parmuser=Carl

Postby Bean » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:32 am

Carl wrote:
RamanDestroyer wrote:So basically I'll need the jacket to be waterproof, wind resistant, light and helmet capable.

Do you have any suggestions (maybe around $200-$350 range)?

If you wear a size large http://14ers.com/php14ers/gearclass.php?entry=1614&parmuser=Carl

And I've got a medium Super Pluma new with tags that I still haven't taken back which I'll let go for $220. Orange.

My layering system changes significantly based on where I'm going, the weather, distance from the car, what I'm doing, etc., but in winter generally consists of wool base layers (short or long sleeves, boxer-briefs or 3/4-length leggings) under a soft or hard shell, with a down or synthetic puffy to go on top if needed.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Oman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:40 am

This Sierra Designs Vapor jacket softshell is a dead ringer for the great old but sadly departed Patagonia Ascensionist jackehttp://www.backcountry.com/sierra-designs-vapor-hooded-softshell-jacket-mens

$55 at backcountry.com, but got mine for $50 on steepandcheap.

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 am

kansas wrote:Edit: I don't see where Patagonia is offering a Guide jacket with hood this season? Am I missing something? If its available, that would be a great choice, as Derek and Surf say.

Well that sucks. Why the hell would they continue the non hooded version but not the hooded? Kinda disappointed...I may try to find a clearance version of mine to have for a replacement someday when I need it.
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby prestone818 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:48 am

one can never have enough jackets.

+1 for layering and a versatile soft shell

Postby Dex » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:52 am

RamanDestroyer wrote:!

@Kansas: I'll need the jacket for hiking and climbing class 1-4s throughout Fall, Winter and Spring. I have a good Goretex Snowboarding Jacket I was planning on using but it's just really bulky and heavy.

For fall, winter spring I would go with something like this and then layer for the conditions. People here recommended it and it works well. It isn't made any more but Golite makes similar.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/GoLite%20Paradigm%20Jacket/Test%20Report%20by%20Andrew%20Buskov/

Pit zips and others are important. I'm constantly using them.

I got these pants and like them. Not made anymore but you can find similar.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Pants%20and%20Shorts/GoLite%20Paradox%20Pants/Test%20Report%20by%20Jason%20Boyle/

With the money you save you could buy this:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/MontBell%20UL%20Thermawrap%20Jacket/Owner%20Review%20by%20Cheryl%20McMurray/
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby RamanDestroyer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Hell yes, you guys are awesome! I just got home and need to do some serious research into this but thanks a ton for all the advice in the mean time.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Here's what I use and love for my winter hiking\climbing\skiing\parapenting system.

Here's what I usually wear when I'm out in the winter time, and note that I run hot.
Patagonia long sleeve capilene, mid weight.
short sleeve north face tshirt.
Marmot Sharp Point soft shell (not exactly this one, but it's the closest one they make now), it's gore windstopper and has a decent collar, can get through pretty rugged conditons.

I carry two other coats that I don't usual
Then I carry a North Face technical shell, it's like the point five now, but an older version. I usually only wear this if it gets super windy as it as a nice hood.
I keep a north face down puffy in my pack usually, it's not the nupste but it's similar, I think mine is 800 fill but I'm not sure, it's warm as heck and compresses down to a chipotle burrito. I only wear this in the parking lot getting dressed, on the summit switching over for the descent, or if we're camping.

I love all of my coats, I mean I really love them man.

Postby randalmartin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:23 pm

You are going to get scores of replies with everyone favoring their particular brand/model. One of the most important considerations for any season is breathability. For Fall, Winter and Spring you probably won't be dealing with rain and waterproof membranes suck when it comes to breathability.

Layer 1: Baselayer
Layer 2: Softshell with a hood (Only needed when windy/cold or snow/sleet)
Layer 3: Parka/Belay (Only needed on summit or stops). For Fall/Spring you may get away with Down Sweater equivalent. In winter you need something like a Patagonia DAS Parka.

For summer I simply swap out the softshell with a windshirt like the Marmot Driclime windshirt, Patagonia Houdini for Layer 2 and may only bring a insulated vest for Layer 3.

Postby smrcka » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:33 pm

"Pit zips and others are important. I'm constantly using them."

Uh-oh, it's a good thing the Baron isn't around to read that statement!
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!

Postby winmag4582001 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:10 pm

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-point-five-jacket-mens

I bought one of these and love it. There is a new one out for 2013, not sure what the price is going to be though.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

PreviousNext