Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dyer Mt from Mosquito Pass

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Dyer Mt from Mosquito Pass

Postby thatguy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:34 am

Hi, anyone have any info on hiking to Dyer from Mosquito Pass/London Mine? Seems like a pretty straight-forward ridge hike but trying to get a sense of the terrain. Bringing someone relatively new to 13er/14er hiking so would like to avoid miles of talus hopping.

thanks,
dave

Re: Dyer Mt from Mosquito Pass

Postby rijaca » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:05 pm

It's a pretty straightforward ridge walk from Mosquito Pass, and you would get to hike a ranked 13er (Evans) along the way.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby lurker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:16 pm

If you are doing it soon, it should be fine. We did it early in the season and the snow on the eastside of the notch (between Evans and Dyer) was crappy. The Notch had some easy class 3, but you might be able to find a better line.

We couldn't find a better line on the west side of the notch, so on the return we dropped down into the basin and bushwacked the willows and then joined one of the 4WD roads.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:01 pm

It's not just a nonchalant ridge walk, and I wouldn't call it a "notch." While most of it is pretty gentle terrain, there is a stretch of a tenth to quarter mile that will require some scrambling and navigating around / across some towers and sidehilling on some scree.

Postby thatguy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:47 am

Great info, thanks everyone. I'll have to save this route for myself for a later date and head to Grays/Torreys so my friend doesn't feel that she's in over her head.