Dyer Mt from Mosquito Pass

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
thatguy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (5)

Dyer Mt from Mosquito Pass

Post by thatguy »

Hi, anyone have any info on hiking to Dyer from Mosquito Pass/London Mine? Seems like a pretty straight-forward ridge hike but trying to get a sense of the terrain. Bringing someone relatively new to 13er/14er hiking so would like to avoid miles of talus hopping.

thanks,
dave
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dyer Mt from Mosquito Pass

Post by rijaca »

It's a pretty straightforward ridge walk from Mosquito Pass, and you would get to hike a ranked 13er (Evans) along the way.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
lurker
14ers: 51  5 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Post by lurker »

If you are doing it soon, it should be fine. We did it early in the season and the snow on the eastside of the notch (between Evans and Dyer) was crappy. The Notch had some easy class 3, but you might be able to find a better line.

We couldn't find a better line on the west side of the notch, so on the return we dropped down into the basin and bushwacked the willows and then joined one of the 4WD roads.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

It's not just a nonchalant ridge walk, and I wouldn't call it a "notch." While most of it is pretty gentle terrain, there is a stretch of a tenth to quarter mile that will require some scrambling and navigating around / across some towers and sidehilling on some scree.

thatguy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (5)

Post by thatguy »

Great info, thanks everyone. I'll have to save this route for myself for a later date and head to Grays/Torreys so my friend doesn't feel that she's in over her head.