What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
taylorzs
14ers: 57  35  3 
13ers: 95 31 9
Trip Reports (76)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by taylorzs »

currently reading; "The Blind Watchmaker; Why the Evidence of Evolutions Reveals a Universe Without Design" by Richard Dawkins. An awesome book, almost finished.

Other Science:
"The Origin of Species" Darwin
"The Pathological Protein" Yam
"The Grand Design" Hawking
"The Double Helix" Watson
"The Selfish Gene" Dawkins
other books on Human Physiology/Pathology, Microbiology, and Evolutionary/Molecular Biology

other non-fiction
my guide book collection

Fiction:
Anything Edward Abbey favorite probably " Monkey Wrench Gang"
"Big Sky" and subsequent books in series. AB Guthrie
anything Tom Robbins
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pkripper
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pkripper »

Just finished the Last Expedition, and my copy of No Easy Day arrived today.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

The Ultimate Hikers Gear Guide - Andrew Skurka
The Animal Dialogues - Craig Childs
Amurph
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Amurph »

Finding Ultra : rejecting middle age, becoming one of the world's fittest men, and discovering myself / Rich Roll.

Great information on food and resources for health and fitness.

http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Ultra-Rej ... ding+ultra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaredASkaga
14ers: 37 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JaredASkaga »

Growing up in the Tetons as a child, I wanted to be a Jenny Park Ranger. They are the baddest dudes out there. "A Bolt from the Blue" tells their story exceptionally well. It is a very fast read.

Also just finished "The Long Way" by Bernard Moitessier. Although I have little time spent on the ocean, his spiritual reflections, in my mind, translate quite well to my affinity for the mountains.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Just finished a fascinating non-fiction book entitled The White Cascade: The Great Northern Railway Disaster and America's Deadliest Avalanche by Gary Krist. True, almost documentary-style, account of a real life natural tragedy that occurred in the early 1900's. The photos included are stirring, as are the personal journals and letters from those involved (and subsequent court records and testimony).
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. Terrific Vietnam War story.
Alif the Unseen by Willow Wilson. A Middle East hacker chased by corrupt government and worse creatures during Arab Spring.
Bill Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain. Heroes of the Iraqi War paraded through a Dallas Cowboys halftime show to build support for the war.
Defending Jacob by William Landay. A prosecutor's 14-year-old son is accused of murdering a classmate.
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. Alaskan pioneers living a Russian folk tale.
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. Love triangle in the Flapper Era of Manhattan.
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga. Booker Prize winner about a driver / hustler surviving in booming India.
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. Dickens-like tale of two poor tailors in India.
City of Thieves by David Benioff. Fun thriller about a Jew and a Russian war defector and their quest to find eggs during Hitler's starvation blockade of Leningrad.
Touring Colorado Hot Springs by Susan Joy Paul. Woo-hoo!
ckfreund
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ckfreund »

Desert Reckoning: A town sherriff, a Mojave hermit and the biggest manhunt in modern California history by Deanne Stillman.
I just finished The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. It's a post-apocalyptic novel set in Colorado.
KSU Wildcat
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KSU Wildcat »

"Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides. Story of a WW2 mission to rescue ~500 POWs in a Phillipines prison camp.

Just finished Viesturs's "No Shortcuts To The Top".

Vacation coming up, now I get to add to the list!
Climb on!
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
seano732
14ers: 7  4 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano732 »

If you want post-apocalypse+Colorado, nothing beats the master, Stephen Kings The Stand. That being said, I'm studying for my promotional exam, so im reading fascinating tomes like "Personnel Mgt. in the Fire Service". Kill me now. Peace!
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Working my way through the Hunger Games trilogy for a 2nd time. Yes, it's for teenagers; yes I enjoyed the books (although I could do w/o the love triangle).

Interesting what political themes people draw comparisons to from the book, generally biased toward their own political beliefs.
Last edited by djkest on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog