Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Picture Canyon Camping?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Picture Canyon Camping?

Postby Gareth » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Has anyone here been down to Picture Canyon in far SE Colorado?

I'm thinking of taking a little weekend camping trip to this area, but am not sure what camping options exist. I have read vague reports mentioning campsites, and I've also read something that said that camping was only allowed in the "parking area". The USFS website does not seem to say that camping is an activity which exists in the area. Any firsthand knowledge?
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Re: Picture Canyon Camping?

Postby traderaaron » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Picture Canyon is actually one I haven't been to and I live here in S.E. Colorado. But yeah, as far as I know camping is not allowed in any of the Nat'l Grasslands Canyons themselves but at the parking areas/trailheads. Vogel Canyon south of La Junta does have some campsites with covered picnic tables and grills, to my knowledge it is the only canyon with such facilities.

Postby rijaca » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:06 pm

A quick google search found this....http://www.springfieldcolorado.com/canyons.html
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby traderaaron » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:19 pm

rijaca wrote:A quick google search found this....http://www.springfieldcolorado.com/canyons.html

Well, as far as I know was corrected by that link. :)

Postby Gareth » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 pm

traderaaron wrote:Picture Canyon is actually one I haven't been to and I live here in S.E. Colorado. But yeah, as far as I know camping is not allowed in any of the Nat'l Grasslands Canyons themselves but at the parking areas/trailheads. Vogel Canyon south of La Junta does have some campsites with covered picnic tables and grills, to my knowledge it is the only canyon with such facilities.

Vogel Canyon was another area that I was eyeing. I'd love to get at some pinon wood for a campfire. (but it looks like charcoal only)

rijaca wrote:A quick google search found this....http://www.springfieldcolorado.com/canyons.html

I looked more carefully at that site and it did answer some of my questions. I read something on another website last night that seemed to say that Picture Canyon had well maintained campsites....maybe they meant picnic areas?
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby traderaaron » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Gareth wrote:Vogel Canyon was another area that I was eyeing. I'd love to get at some pinon wood for a campfire. (but it looks like charcoal only)

I live about 15 minutes from Vogel Canyon and I never pay much attention to the camping areas but last spring I remember seeing a few people there and I think they are grills and not fire grate/pits. I need to check on this myself because I'd like to take my young cousin camping out there for a very close to home frist camping trip.

If you come out let the weather cool down and pick a time outside of the first Saturday in October because your camp areas might be occupied with Antelope hunters.

Postby Gareth » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks for the info.
- William James