3 Centennial finishers on Rio Grande Pyramid

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 3 Centennial finishers on Rio Grande Pyramid

Post by tmathews »

d_baker wrote:
Floyd wrote:
USAKeller wrote: Image
Mike, nice pose there buddy. This one has some excellent photoshop potential. You couldn't have just held the brownies in front of Kevin's chest?
Scot, there's an even better picture of that pose that Kevin B has.
You guys sure that's frosting?
If it's not frosting, Papi has exceptional aim.

d_baker wrote:Did I hear correctly that the Pappersons are now newlyweds?!
!?!?!?!
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

tmathews wrote:
And here I thought being able to write my name with my feet when I was four was skill... Props! :P
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

wildlobo71 wrote:
tmathews wrote:
And here I thought being able to write my name with my feet when I was four was skill... Props! :P
Modesty is not one of your faults, Bill. ;) :mrgreen:
blindmule
14ers: 58  2  22 
13ers: 84 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blindmule »

Congrats to the 3 of you. There were 3 climbers about 2 hours behind you that day. One of us, Mickey's Grenade, celebrated No. 100, too. Congrats to him as well. Certainly not an easy task.
=D>
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Congratulations, Mike, Kevin, and Sarah! Solid crew, beautiful mountain, and a great reason to celebrate!

A few pics from the weekend...

blindmule wrote:There were 3 climbers about 2 hours behind you that day. One of us, Mickey's Grenade, celebrated No. 100, too.
Congrats to MG. I believe we met him on MHC this past winter. Here's a pic of what I believe is your group on RGP as we were leaving Window Peak.

sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Strong work, guys! Congrats - that's an awesome accomplishment, celebrated on a beautiful mountain! =D>
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
wooderson
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wooderson »

First I’d like to thank my sponsors, Jimmy John’s and Modus Hoperandi… 8)

But seriously, while JJs and Modus played a significant role in my completing the top 100, Papi and I couldn’t have done it without the help of a lot of folks on this site. Getting to know some really exceptional people over the past few years has been the best thing about pursuing this goal. We had such a great group on RGP (and others) this weekend... thanks to you all for making it one of the most fun and memorable trips I've ever had.

I’ve also been lucky enough to have my best friend and most important person in my life with me on each one of these peaks. When Kevin and I moved here from Michigan in 2007, we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. Started with day hikes in RMNP and soon progressed to sleeping at trailheads nearly every weekend.

And it’s really just the beginning… it feels good to have finished this list, but we’re by no means “done.” There’s a lot more peaks out there. As Papi would say, “These are great days we’re living.”
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

Wheeeee!! Seen a bit along the way, eh? Looking forward to more adventures with all three of you!
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

The planets definitely aligned for this one. I think Mike and I have been talking about an RGP finish for a couple of years. Our friendship began when he and lordhelmut showed up at my hotel room in Durango around 11 PM a few summers ago. We spent July 4 on Pigeon and Turret and the rest is history. I think it is fitting that the photo below was taken by Kevin Baker (another great partner) that day.

Sarah and I would not have reached this goal without the assistance of others. We've had a lot of help along the way. I've always said that success in the mountains of Colorado is attributed to two things - great weather and great partners. In addition to Mike and Kevin, I'd like to say thank you to summitlounger, benners, Steve G., Modus Joe W., lordhelmut, Darin "Shock D" Baker, and all the others playing this crazy game.

Man, I can't believe we hit more peaks down there than Steve Knapp. That has to be a typo...
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Papillon wrote:...Modus Joe W...
Ha! 6.8% x 2! I'd be toast.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Modus is legit but where's the love for ESB and True Blonde!??

O the humanity [-(
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by wooderson » 05 Sep 2012, 09:14
First I’d like to thank my sponsors, Jimmy John’s and Modus Hoperandi… 8)
:iluvbeer: :iluvbeer: 8) Ahh, yes, Modus ... now, that's a worthy sponsor for sure.
by wooderson » 05 Sep 2012, 09:14
I’ve also been lucky enough to have my best friend and most important person in my life with me on each one of these peaks. When Kevin and I moved here from Michigan in 2007, we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. Started with day hikes in RMNP and soon progressed to sleeping at trailheads nearly every weekend.

And it’s really just the beginning… it feels good to have finished this list, but we’re by no means “done.” There’s a lot more peaks out there. As Papi would say, “These are great days we’re living.”
You're getting me a little misty-eyed. What a very nice comment on a really nice guy.

The Man and I were talking about you guys this weekend. May you both have many, many more summits in your future. Happy trails! :-D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM