Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2012 Fall Gathering - Snowmass

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

2012 Fall Gathering - Snowmass

Postby Waggs » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Breaking out to who-do-what threads seemed to work well for the Spring gathering.

So......

I'm interested in Snowmass on Saturday.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Re: 2012 Fall Gathering - Snowmass

Postby dpage » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Me and my wife would be interested in Snowmass too...our downfall being that we only have 2WD. Are people setting up camp at the 4WD area or down lower then driving on to the 4WD TH. Either Saturday or Sunday woudl work and I think the s ridge or the west face would be good for us. And we are coming from Ft Collins.

Postby Waggs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:43 am

dpage wrote:Me and my wife would be interested in Snowmass too...our downfall being that we only have 2WD. Are people setting up camp at the 4WD area or down lower then driving on to the 4WD TH. Either Saturday or Sunday woudl work and I think the s ridge or the west face would be good for us. And we are coming from Ft Collins.

Once we get a head count for Snowmass on which days, the ride arranging will begin.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby Lemmiwinks » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:24 am

Snowmass S-Ridge is my goal for Saturday. Count me in.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby geojed » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:27 am

I'm in for the S-ridge with a traverse to Hagerman.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby CCU_Jim » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:13 am

I'm definitely interested in joining for the S-Ridge. I'd prefer driving out Friday (I get off work at 1pm) and hiking/returning on Saturday, but could do Sat/Sun if need be. I'm heading out from Lakewood.

Postby Justin9 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:03 pm

I am in for the S Ridge on Saturday too. Not sure if I will have my 4wd truck or will carpool but if I do have the truck I will have room for 1 or 2 people.

-Justin

Postby Kevin Baker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 pm

I am strongly considering going if the forecast is good, but I'll be hitting my remaining 13ers in the area. Siberia is high on the list as is 13062 and the 2 12ers off Trail Rider Pass. Treasure/Treasury is an option as well. Let me know if anybody is interested in those.

Climbing the S Ridge or West face with a big group is a bad idea, so I'm staying off Snowmass.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby geojed » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:27 pm

Kevin Baker wrote:Climbing the S Ridge or West face with a big group is a bad idea, so I'm staying off Snowmass.

That is my worry too! :-k Might try it on Friday or Sunday.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby scottfarish » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Kevin Baker wrote:I am strongly considering going if the forecast is good, but I'll be hitting my remaining 13ers in the area. Siberia is high on the list as is 13062 and the 2 12ers off Trail Rider Pass. Treasure/Treasury is an option as well. Let me know if anybody is interested in those.

Climbing the S Ridge or West face with a big group is a bad idea, so I'm staying off Snowmass.

A couple of us coming from the Front Range on Friday were planning on the S-ridge Saturday morning, but Kevin's statement above scares me. Just how loose is the S-ridge? What would be an acceptable number of people on it to make is "safer" (if there is such a thing on that mountain)? Judging by all previous trip reports, the entrance gullies are the worst part, but staying on the ridge line to the summit - does that make it better?

Postby Tony1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:43 pm

I may be game for Sunday if anyone is planning on that. The deats could come later but carpooling preferred here!

Postby Kevin Baker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:23 pm

scottfarish wrote:
Kevin Baker wrote:I am strongly considering going if the forecast is good, but I'll be hitting my remaining 13ers in the area. Siberia is high on the list as is 13062 and the 2 12ers off Trail Rider Pass. Treasure/Treasury is an option as well. Let me know if anybody is interested in those.

A couple of us coming from the Front Range on Friday were planning on the S-ridge Saturday morning, but Kevin's statement above scares me. Just how loose is the S-ridge? What would be an acceptable number of people on it to make is "safer" (if there is such a thing on that mountain)? Judging by all previous trip reports, the entrance gullies are the worst part, but staying on the ridge line to the summit - does that make it better?

Scott, the S ridge is a far better alternative than the West face, but most people descend the west face after doing the S ridge. I would just keep your group small and try not to climb directly behind or above somebody. I think that accident on the Wilson/El Diente traverse a couple years ago is a good example of what can happen when you're doing a traverse with too many people on it. The ridge isn't real loose compared to a lot of ridge runs in the Elks, but there are a fair amount of unstable boulders on it. The west face is not a good place to be with a lot of groups fanned out across it for sure.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next