Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

coon hill in summer?

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

coon hill in summer?

Postby davebks » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Anyone been on Coon Hill in the summer? Is it nice up there? I have only been up there in the winter to ski.
I thought it might be a nice hike/mellow peak, on our way up to the mountains this weekend.

Re: coon hill in summer?

Postby zoomie83 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Not in summer but the first week of October. It's a pretty area and the hike is not bad though I never found a trail; about 3.5 miles RT with 1,600 feet of gain and the I-70 noise goes away not too far up the valley. I think I could see the Belles through binoculars. I'd recommend this hike and I've heard Golden Bear Peak across the valley to the east is nice, too.

Postby mike offerman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:46 pm

I second that it is a nice hike. I was very surprised at how quiet the area was just a little ways up the valley. Heading west, you can pick up 2 12ers, or head east and pick up "golden bear".

Postby davebks » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:18 am

Cool, thanks. I think well give it a go. we skied it a few years ago and had a blast. It was nice how quiet it gets right off the bat once you come around the bend, and I thought the views were great, but winter is winter. Nice to hear that you think summer will be decent. I figure at the least it's another peak and another amazing day outside in Colorado. Im guessing it will climb like Sherman or Lincoln for the most part.

Postby rickinco123 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:20 am

Great views, lots of wildflowers. Nice hike. Wildflowers might be dead by now though.

Postby SuperPolok » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:32 am

Certainly not a side-trip but last year myself and a friend did a car-shuttle traverse from Loveland Pass over Golden Bear, Coon Hill and over to Ptarmigan and down the trail to Frisco. It's a long but certainly maneageable day. Coon Hill was the most interesting peak of the day if I remember correctly.