Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trip Reports

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: Trip Reports

Postby MtnHub » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Would it be possible to extend the 30 photo limit to a bit more - say 40, or even 50? Occasionally on good photo trips, I've had to cut out a lot of shots I wanted to include, because the limit was only 30. I prefer a report with more pictures and less text (unless it is very descriptive and entertaining). I'm one that goes along with the saying, "One picture is worth a thousand words." :D

Also on overnight trips when doing more than 2-3 peaks it might sometimes work better to make one long, inclusive report rather than break it up as 2 or 3 individual ones. I know there are some people who get around this limit linking with other sites etc., but I haven't figured out how to do this and may not have the technical abilities anyway.

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am

I wasn't sure where to post this suggestion....so here it is!

Bill, when I get the email for new comments to my report(s), the link in the email is not active. Is there a way to make it active, or could the email indicate which tr a comment was posted? (other than this: www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11954)

I could copy/paste the url, but if it were active or if it mentioned the tr by title/or mountain then I know right away which report a comment was posted to. Make sense?
I've had comments come in weeks later, or around the same time when I have a couple of 'active/recent' tr's so the distinction in the email would be cool.

Thanks for listening!

EDIT: weird, I copied/pasted the url from my email to here, and in the forum it's live, but in my email it is not! Maybe it's a setting in my yahoo email account?

Postby MtnHub » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:08 am

Can there be a way (or is it possible now and I just haven't discovered it yet?) to mark or flag TRs or save some in a file somewhere on your account for reference? Kind of like the SAVE of personal messages.

There are becoming so many TR's now it's sometimes difficult to find and go back to some you'd like to review. It would be really helpful to mark them when you first read them and then re-read them later on, even a year or so later.

And maybe this has been mentioned before, but would it be possible to "subscribe" to a TR like a general post in the forum so you're alerted by email after another post or comment? Sometime you pose a question for the author of a TR, but unless you remember to check on it periodically, you may miss their reply. But then if you could flag it as above that would also make it easier to check on it.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:12 am

MtnHub wrote:Can there be a way (or is it possible now and I just haven't discovered it yet?) to mark or flag TRs or save some in a file somewhere on your account for reference? Kind of like the SAVE of personal messages.

There are becoming so many TR's now it's sometimes difficult to find and go back to some you'd like to review. It would be really helpful to mark them when you first read them and then re-read them later on, even a year or so later.

And maybe this has been mentioned before, but would it be possible to "subscribe" to a TR like a general post in the forum so you're alerted by email after another post or comment? Sometime you pose a question for the author of a TR, but unless you remember to check on it periodically, you may miss their reply. But then if you could flag it as above that would also make it easier to check on it.

I don't have any bookmark system in place, but you could use your browser by creating a favorites/bookmarks folder and copying links (drag n drop works) to the folder. Since browsers now have pretty good "favorites" functionality, I didn't think it was worth adding here.

Sorry, no "subscribe" feature on TRs, yet.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby MtnHub » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:31 am

Hadn't thought about doing that. Yeah, that should help keep them together. Thanks, Bill! :D

Postby d_baker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:25 pm

MtnHub wrote:Would it be possible to extend the 30 photo limit to a bit more - say 40, or even 50? Occasionally on good photo trips, I've had to cut out a lot of shots I wanted to include, because the limit was only 30. I prefer a report with more pictures and less text (unless it is very descriptive and entertaining). I'm one that goes along with the saying, "One picture is worth a thousand words." :D

Also on overnight trips when doing more than 2-3 peaks it might sometimes work better to make one long, inclusive report rather than break it up as 2 or 3 individual ones. I know there are some people who get around this limit linking with other sites etc., but I haven't figured out how to do this and may not have the technical abilities anyway.

I like the idea of being able to post more than 30 photos if it's an overnight (or more) with multiple peaks.

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:26 pm

MtnHub wrote:Would it be possible to extend the 30 photo limit to a bit more - say 40, or even 50? Occasionally on good photo trips, I've had to cut out a lot of shots I wanted to include, because the limit was only 30. I prefer a report with more pictures and less text (unless it is very descriptive and entertaining). I'm one that goes along with the saying, "One picture is worth a thousand words." :D

+1
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Furthermore » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:55 pm

More than 5 peaks would also be sweet.

Postby Bean » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:06 pm

How about adding the ability to insert Vimeo videos? I don't do YouTube.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby tmathews » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:23 pm

tmathews wrote:Oh, also -- is it possible to create something (perhaps from the UCP or from the "My Trip Reports" section) to view/see TR's that you've been tagged to? Or is that one of the future tie-ins that you mentioned?

Hi, Bill,

I just wanted to ask if this is still a future addition that you have in mind for TRs. Hope hunting is going well for you this season!

Postby rkalsbeek » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Awesome! I love this idea. I also like the trip report bookmark, would be awesome to be able to save my favorites for future reference.
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

Postby awilbur77 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Nice feature Bill! I love the constant improvements you are always doing to the site.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://awilbur77.blogspot.com/

PreviousNext