Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

?: Silver Pick Basin

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

?: Silver Pick Basin

Postby Eaglevu » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm looking to do Wilson Peak, from SPB, during the week of the 17th. Does anyone have any recent trip information (< 2 months)? What is the car-camping situation in SPB or local area?
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Re: ?: Silver Pick Basin

Postby tmathews » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Eaglevu wrote:What is the car-camping situation in SPB or local area?

There are campsites along the road to the Rock of Ages trailhead (what Silver Pick is now). I believe they're just first-come, first-served. If you're just going to overnight in your vehicle, you can do that right at the TH (I've done that twice). I believe I saw some rock fire rings in the area right behind the information kiosk thingy close to the start of the trail (behind the timbers lining the border of the lot on the right-hand side as you enter the parking area) so that area may have been used to camp next to the parking area, but I'm not 100% sure.

Re: ?: Silver Pick Basin

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Eaglevu wrote:I'm looking to do Wilson Peak, from SPB, during the week of the 17th. Does anyone have any recent trip information (< 2 months)? What is the car-camping situation in SPB or local area?

There are pull-offs in that area, one for sure before the road to Rusty Nichols gate where you can camp. Those were pretty nice spots. Also, the trailhead may not support overnight camping but it was pretty remote and I wouldn't think twice about sleeping in my car there.

Also, there is a broad pullout on the road to the TH that was large enough for a camper or four. You wouldn't get much shelter from headlights there but could certainly camp there if you didn't mind the traffic. The two small circles indicate a couple of spots close by, the large one is the very spacious pull off slightly further away.

silver pic.JPG
silver pic.JPG (301.2 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson