Massive - Standard vs. SW Slopes Routes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MRottmann
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (4)

Massive - Standard vs. SW Slopes Routes

Post by MRottmann »

Looking for some feedback from those that have done both routes. A group of us (mix of people from around the country) will be attempting to summit Massive in mid September. Trying to decide which route would be best for us. Outside of the Standard route being a lot longer, I'm wondering about other differences between the trails. Is the SW slopes route significantly harder than the Standard? Would you recommend one over the other. Anything we should really be aware of related to these routes or Massive in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Massive - Standard vs. SW Slopes Routes

Post by JosephG »

Highly recommend the SW slopes. It is more scenic and, frankly, easier than the standard route. It does gain elevation slightly more quickly, but the trade-off is more than fair given the mileage difference. It also has less elevation gain overall. The trail is easy to follow and feels more removed from civilization. You will have superb views of Mt. Oklahoma and the N. Halfmoon Lakes/Basin.

The last half-mile of the road is mildly rough, but 2WD cars can make it if you take care. Even if you can't drive the last half-mile, it still is an easy hike and remains shorter than the standard approach.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

JosephG wrote:Highly recommend the SW slopes. It is more scenic and, frankly, easier than the standard route. It does gain elevation slightly more quickly, but the trade-off is more than fair given the mileage difference. It also has less elevation gain overall. The trail is easy to follow and feels more removed from civilization. You will have superb views of Mt. Oklahoma and the N. Halfmoon Lakes/Basin.
I agree on the SW slopes route too. The standard route is just plain long, not as great of views.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

I agree with the others on the SW slopes, as long as you have a car that can make it to the TH. I remember one spot in particular where high clearance is necessary. The trail is slightly steeper but still a walk up, and there aren't as many hikers on that route. Also, look out for the "blonde" marmots that inhabit the area.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
WheelerDealer
14ers: 44 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WheelerDealer »

SW slopes all the way. And though I saw a jetta at the trailhead, there is no way I'd take a passenger car there.
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

I was up there supporting Eric's Nolan's adventure. I was in his Forester, which was fine, but no way in hell would I take either of my cars up there (Civic and a minivan).
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I'm a big fan of the SW slope if you're looking for a trailed route to the top (ie not Massive Mania). Its a beautiful trail, great scenery/back drop, and efficient.
I've done the road to the TH in my Subaru Forester many times, but it'd be rough getting a low clearance car there, but possible.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
rlrjamy
14ers: 27 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rlrjamy »

Another vote for the SW slopes. I did it last week and really enjoyed it.
TravisJN
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TravisJN »

OK, so here's something I've wondered before...if the Massive SW slope route is shorter than standard route and still class 2, why isn't it considered the standard route? Is it because the TH for the East Slopes (the actual standard) is a little easier to reach?
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

TravisJN wrote:OK, so here's something I've wondered before...if the Massive SW slope route is shorter than standard route and still class 2, why isn't it considered the standard route? Is it because the TH is a little easier to reach?
It's a steeper and more erosion-prone trail, and more difficult to reach with low-clearance vehicles (with less parking, IIRC).
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

When I did the SW slopes route I remember it being much more difficult, we got into class 3\4 terrain, loose rocks on slabby cliffs, I'm positive we were off route because we had no idea where we were going. However, when I did the standard route it had much easier route finding.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

The traditional standard route has had a constructed trail much longer. The SW slopes seem to be evolving into a standard route. However, there isn’t as much parking, no outhouse, and the road is rougher. So it may be premature to declare it the standard route.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert