Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LOST: Eyeglasses on El Diente Kilpacker 9-2-12

Post lost and found items here.

LOST: Eyeglasses on El Diente Kilpacker 9-2-12

Postby GaryK » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Somehow I managed to lose my prescription eyeglasses on El Diente on the Kilpacker Route 9-2-12. They are in a black bullet shaped Oakley case. I started early so I didn't have them on until part way up, and I noticed they were missing down near the bottom of the real start to the climb. Obviously, it would mean a lot to me to get them back should anyone happen to run across them. I will certainly pay shipping plus throw in an REI gift certificate for your troubles. Thanks a lot.

Re: LOST: Eyeglasses on El Diente Kilpacker 9-2-12

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 am

Gary, you were ascending, were you on the standard-ish talus route, or were you at the entry to the class 2-3 scree and rock bands? Did you take any breaks in an identifiable area that they could have fallen out at?

I was up there as well on Saturday, and most likely will be returning for exercise in two weeks to support a cohort... I'd like to know where to keep my eyes open for them, and let my partners know the same. This time I will also be descending the route, so I'll be able to see something in the afternoon.

Hope you find them long before I need to look.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby ATOMEMT » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Hey Gary...we're heading down today for an alpine start Wednesday via the Kilpacker route...we'll keep our eyes peeled for them. So they're more likely on the trail approach going into the Basin?..... or up on the actual scree/talus gullies, etc? Hopefuly the black oakley case should stand out. T

Postby GaryK » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks, guys. We did the Kilpacker route exactly as described here on the website. So, we went up the eastern gully instead of the first gully. We did an early start, so we were up the mountain a ways before I switched to sunglasses. We were down in the small scree/talus on the descent when I noticed they were gone. So, I had to have lost them somewhere on the mountain itself, on the described route. We re-climbed a ways before realizing the probable futility of us re-climbing the whole darn thing looking for them.

I imagine it is a bit of a needle in a haystack situation given the abundance of large talus. I imagine I lost them in a gully when I slipped on some scree. I had them in the bottle holder of my smaller summit pack (lesson learned) and I imagine they were dislodged then. It would be awesome if one of you ran across them. Thanks for keeping an eye out for them.

GaryK