Can Jupiter be climbed with Windom and Sunlight?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Can Jupiter be climbed with Windom and Sunlight?

Post by TravelingMatt »

Last-minute request; going into Chicago Basin tomorrow. How hard is it to do Jupiter the same day as Windom and Sunlight? I have both of Roach's books with me, but is there a way to connect Jupiter with Windom that's no harder than occasional Class 4? TIA
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Can Jupiter be climbed with Windom and Sunlight?

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

For sure.

Heres the approximate route I took off Windom.

http://www.14ers.com/images/trips/snef/ ... 1013_l.jpg

Heres the face I went up on Jupiter (wasn't as bad as it looks IMO).

http://www.14ers.com/images/trips/snef/ ... 1014_l.jpg

Once on the summit ridge there was maybe some 4th class to the top but I don't recall anything too gnarly although I was rushing because of weather. Descending the SW face was not bad also. There are some cliff bands before you hit the valley floor so be weary of those.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

Actually, I looked into the gully from between the false summit and the real summit and it didn't seem bad, I'd believe FireOnTheMountain that it's doable (although careful, he is a climbing monster :) )
bodhidharma
14ers: 50  1  1 
13ers: 79
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bodhidharma »

Climbing Jupiter via the standard route listed in Roach's book was my favorite hike in Chicago Basin. The seldom used trail parallels what I call 'mini yellowstone canyon' and is gorgeous.

I'm sure you 'can' combine them as others in the past have, but if you have time by all means enjoy Jupiter by itself. Sunlight and Windom make for a good, enjoyable day on their own.

There are a couple cliff bands to negotiate on Jupiter's mostly benign, steep, grassy slopes and I was very glad to have breadcrumbed with my GPS the route on the way up.
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

I like how everyones preferences may be different. I hated that standard route, its steep slippery grassy misery that lasts forever (actually, similar to Missouri Mountain if you use west ridge approach), then steep talus before the false summit. The only fun stuff was between the summits; my knees were dying on the way down :)..
bodhidharma
14ers: 50  1  1 
13ers: 79
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bodhidharma »

It is completely a matter of personal preference. You are not the first Milan that didn't enjoy the standard route, but I thought the grass had a nice grip to it and it had give on my knees for the descent. Go Figure!

If you do an ascending traverse from the notch in the ridge rather than gaining the ridge there is a little bit of fun scrambling similar to that of Windom to gain the false summit and the slopes remain grassy rather than becoming all out talus. I agree the terrain between summits is the fun part.

But hey if Roach claims the route is a *Classic* that must count for something...
"But whether or not one can live with one's passions, whether or not one can accept their law, which is to burn the heart they simultaneously exalt - that is the whole question." Albert Camus
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Where is that small trail to Jupiter? I tried finding it in 2009 and wandered back and forth on the trail in that stretch shortly before the mine and up toward Columbine pass....couldn't find anything.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Thanks, everyone. I'm on the late train from Silverton this afternoon, so have a few more hours.
FireOnTheMountain wrote:For sure.

Heres the approximate route I took off Windom.

http://www.14ers.com/images/trips/snef/ ... 1013_l.jpg
Any particular reason you didn't follow the ridge down to the low point, past your red line, and go down the gully? Did the gully look too steep/loose?

The other option I'm considering is trying to knock out all of Sunlight, Windom and Eolus in one day, in that order, then do Jupiter by itself.

I'm OK with steep, grassy slopes, and always prefer it to loose sandy stuff. Who doesn't, I guess.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Marmot72 wrote:Where is that small trail to Jupiter? I tried finding it in 2009 and wandered back and forth on the trail in that stretch shortly before the mine and up toward Columbine pass....couldn't find anything.
The trail is solid and beautiful into the basin below Jupiter. Once in the basin drift left on sparse trail segments and then when you get onto Jupiter, stay left on the grassy face. There isn't much of a trail in that whole segment. Pick your line and go...UP.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!