Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Montezuma / Peru Creek roads..

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Montezuma / Peru Creek roads..

Postby BeachAV8R » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks guys.. Sure enough, CDOW has a nice site. I just bought a single day out of state fishing license for $9.00. I'll try my luck and see how I do. I'd read the same thing about Ruby Gulch..that the water is basically unable to support fish.

Postby Magnum420 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:47 pm

I'd read the same thing about Ruby Gulch..

Did you mean Peru Creek? Or did you see info specifically about Ruby Gulch?
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby BeachAV8R » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Magnum420 wrote:Did you mean Peru Creek?

Indeed..Peru Creek. Apologies for that mistake.. :)

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:50 am

Magnum420 wrote:I think there were a few camp sites before the Ruby Gulch fork. There were good sites once you got into the basin.

Fishing - I saw some small fish jumping in some of the beaver ponds but I really wasnt paying attention, so maybe someone else can give some better info. You probably wont find fish in Peru Creek, Im pretty sure its a dead water system until somewhere around keystone. You will be close to some good fishing though. The Snake River where it enters Lake Dillon can be good, and I frequently fish the Blue River from the Dillon Dam in Silverthorne north to Green Mountain Res (Gold Medal Waters).

Is the snake supporting fishing again? The last two or three years have faced some mine run-off issues that discouraged survival, but I don't have any up to date info. I'm going to be staying in Summit County next month and it would be nice to walk out the back door to let the trout laugh at me for a few minutes. We had excellent luck at several spots on the Blue last year and hope things are holding up this season.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Dinzy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:42 am

Against the backcountry fisherman's code, here is the skinny on fishing in Zuma....

The Snake River branch from Peru Creek is unable to support fish life. It's not until the North Fork of the Snake (from A-Basin) enters into the main Snake River does it become diluted enough to support fish. Fishing through Keystone is hit or miss (mostly miss for me). Yes, there have been little brookies in the beaver ponds in Chihuahua Gulch in years past. And there are rumors of large cutthroat in Chihuahua Lake.... though I've been skunked there the only two times I've been to the lake.

Lots of good campsites within 1/2 mile of the Peru Creek/Chihuahua intersection.

Postby BeachAV8R » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 am

Dinzy wrote:Against the backcountry fisherman's code, here is the skinny on fishing in Zuma....

Thanks for all the good intel.. ;) If I catch any big ones I'll send you a PM then bemoan how awful the fishing was in Chihuahua Gulch... ;)

Super excited to be coming out there..

Postby BeachAV8R » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 am

Just a quick update. My wife and I summited Grays (her first ever 14er after having stalled on the Narrows of Longs) via Chihuahua up Ruby Gulch and the southwest ridge of Grays. We made the traverse over to Torreys and descended down the southwest ridge of Torreys to the Grizzly saddle then back to our camp. Due to a mistake of me looking at my watch that was still set to east coast time, we made a fortunate error and woke at 3am instead of 5am to start up to the mine in Ruby Gulch. That two hours might have saved us a lot of pain or worse since we raced a severe storm down from the Grizzly/Torreys saddle. The mountain turned white with hail and it felt like bee stings on my ears.

Will post a full trip report later with pics (on the airplane home right now), but I just wanted to extend my thanks and appreciation to all those that gave us information and tips for the route. Though it was difficult for us we were really excited to have done the two peaks via a less traveled route. The pics and video are going to be stunning. My girl will never forget that last 400' scramble up that southwest ridge of Grays..that was pretty steep for us east coasters..!

Many thanks and we love your state..!

Regards...
BeachAV8R

Postby Magnum420 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 am

Congrats! Sounds like a great time! The storms seem to be firing up a little earlier than I remember from years past, especially over the divide. Heard there was snow on Longs last night too. Would love to see the trip report, I really wanted to get G+T from Chihuahua Gulch this summer but my foot injury is pushing it off until next summer.

Any luck fishing? Looks like Im heading to NC next week for some beach time. Hoping for some good ocean fishing. :)
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:11 pm

I'm glad you had a good climb, but in regards to the hailstorm, "it wouldn't be an adventure without an adventure!"
Tell her to come back for more!
I also want a fish update.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Tortoise1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:09 pm

So tell us, how was the decent of the saddle slope? That's impressive if you did it in hailstones.

Postby BeachAV8R » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:53 pm

I posted a trip report with photos on a site I admin on. I will be posting a trip report here on 14ers with similar photos tomorrow. For now though - you can read about our hike:

HERE!

Thanks again for all the assistance!

BeachAV8R

Previous