Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Canyoneering Fest Oct 19-21.

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Canyoneering Fest Oct 19-21.

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:37 am

Where: Robbers Roost (Granary Springs)
When: October 19-21
Who's invited? anyone that wants to come.

Driving Directions to Granary Springs (Motel 6)

From Green River, Utah take I-70 westbound for 11 miles to Exit #149 and Highway 24. Follow Highway 24 south from I-70 for 25 miles to mile maker 135.5 (1/2 mile beyond the turn-off to Goblin Valley State Park). The well-maintained dirt road on the east side of highway 24 is signed Rooster Flats and Hans Flat Ranger Station, turn east onto this dirt road.

This area is criss-crossed with roads. Stay on the road described until told to turn off of it. Follow the well-maintained dirt road for 24.3 miles until you come to a signed fork in the road with an information kiosk. The Left Fork leads to Horseshoe Canyon, the Right Fork leads to the Hans Flat Ranger Station. Take the Right Fork south for 7.1 miles to a signed fork in the road. Take the Left Fork toward the Hans Flat Ranger Station. Follow the road for 2.6 miles to a minor dirt road on the left. Follow the minor dirt road for 0.2 miles to several old line camp buildings. This is the Granary Spring Trailhead (N38° 20' 30", W110° 17' 33").

The Granary Spring Trailhead is the best place in the vicinity to camp. You will have to tolerate the occasional cow, which wanders through camp on its way to the spring for a drink. A carefully driven passenger car in good weather can usually reach the trailhead. However, the roads in this area are subject to the whims of the road grading crew so go prepared.

Read below before asking questions:

Important! There is no cost for this trip, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before hand. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
Everyone is responsible for a harness, one locking biner, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).
Most Roost area canyons are dry, but some routes are wet... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a shortie wetsuit is required as a minimum. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Rope: We need several folks to bring ropes.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Make sure to be honest about your skills and don't kid yourself on this. On the other hand, if you are a beginner, don't be afraid to come either. I will be leading a beginner canyon on day 2. Others plan on doing one on day 1.

So far, here are some of the choices that people are interested in:

Advanced:

Alcatraz Canyon
Mind Bender
A new canyon (un-named so far)

Intermediate:

High Spur
Larry Canyon
No Mans Canyon
Not Mindbender
Red Spur
Water Canyon
White Roost
Bull Pasture

Beginner:

Bluejohn Canyon
Robbers Roost - North Fork
Buck
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Re: Canyoneering

Postby oldschool » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 am

Yes! I have many I want to get to this year.

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:56 am

I have many I want to get to this year.

Which ones?

Postby Dinzy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:25 am

Scott P wrote:Prime canyoneering season is starting soon.

Is anyone interested in some canyoneering in the upcoming months?

Starting soon? My friend, I've been canyoneering all summer long over here in Summit County. Not many folks know there are canyoneering routes here, but I know of a few (some super-duper-secret ones too).

Are you thinking Ouray, Utah or something else? I'm planning a trip to Moab and Zion in October!

Postby dude9478 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 am

Went to Ouray last weekend, conditions were great. Not too much flow, but just enough to make it fun. Go soon if you are planning on taking a trip down there.

Dinzy...Routes in Summit? Hmmm, care to share anything via pm? :)

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:43 am

Not many folks know there are canyoneering routes here, but I know of a few (some super-duper-secret ones too).

Booth Creek is a fairly known one, but I haven't heard much about anything else. Are they slots?

Are you thinking Ouray, Utah or something else?

Western Colorado or Southern Utah; the sandstone slots. Don't think I'll make Ouray before the season is over.

Postby mtnklutz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:20 am

Yes! I am very interested. I have only been once to Utah but it was great and I would love to go again!
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."
Ernest Hemingway

Postby mountaingoat-G » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:30 am

Scott,

I am interested in going last weekend in September probably. Have my own gear, would love to see the Roost. I've done a handful elsewhere (a very few in these areas: Moab, North Wash, Cedar Mesa, Zion, Swell, Escalante), but not anywhere near as much as you have done.

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 am

I would love to do some canyoneering sometime, I just don't have any canyoneering experience. I don't have much rappelling experience either but I climb 2-3days a week at the gym and I have most of my own gear. I'm going on vacation and wont be back until the 12th of Sept, but after that my schedule is wide open, weekdays or weekends.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby DanR » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:05 am

Definitely interested. I don't have much experience but it's very much something I want to do more.

Postby Vermont Mike » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:09 am

Also interested, although zero experience with technical canyons/rappelling. Hiked Little Wild Horse/Bell and Negro Bill canyons this past spring and loved them. I could swing a few days midweek sometime over the next few months.

Postby michelle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:03 am

We (myself, husband & 10 year old son) are interested. We have no canyoneering experience but have really wanted to do this. We have harnesses, rope, atc. . . could you tell us any other equipment which would be required? Are wet suits needed? Is a dry bag a necessity or just a "nice to have"? I've checked out canyoneering gear lists on line but would appreciate some feedback.

Thank you

Next