Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I finally got a smartphone! Now what?

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.

Re: I finally got a smartphone! Now what?

Postby England » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:25 pm

How about leave the technology home, and enjoy nature. Oh, but you couldn't update you 14er list from the summit. Stupid me.

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:39 pm

England wrote:How about leave the technology home, and enjoy nature. Oh, but you couldn't update you 14er list from the summit. Stupid me.

Do people really do this? Jeebus...
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:01 pm

SilverLynx wrote:
England wrote:How about leave the technology home, and enjoy nature. Oh, but you couldn't update you 14er list from the summit. Stupid me.

Do people really do this? Jeebus...

The only technology I regularly use is one of these (with the band removed):
It's got a great backstory, as I found it on the summit of a 14er ten years ago (I think it was Huron), lost it for five years under the seat of my car, found it again two years ago, then dropped it on a winter hike last year but found it again two hours later on the way down. I'm astonished that the battery hasn't died yet - I guess the time lost in the car doesn't count. I had another one that I dropped in the snow on the Sawtooth three years ago (not the ridge, the actual point of the tooth). It might still be there and still running.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby dsunwall » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:17 pm

How about enjoying both, double the pleasure.

Postby nyker » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:48 pm

I have, essentially my whole life - still use a map and compass, no GPS and never brought a phone to a summit. However, with the advent of all this new technology replacing my beloved flip phone, I'd be foolish to ignore something if it were helpful, increased safety or could help someone else in an emergency, particularly given recent events.

To truly leave technology home, we'd all be hiking in elk hides using rucksacks made from vines and deerskin. Given that hunting season is around the corner, I opted to use my modern garb ;-)

Postby Gareth » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:45 am

I've used Otterbox cases on both my old Blackberry, and now on my Samsung. I've really liked them.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby Alpineair » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:33 am

The Mophie case is pretty hard to beat. I have a new phone also and looked at many cases, nothing else that I found even comes close. I wanted one with a spare battery because I heard the model I have, (ipnone 4s), is a juice hog. They are pricey. One unexpected benefit is that it has a amplifier. I almost returned my phone the second day because I couldn't hear anyone who was talking to me. With the case problem solved. I have just begun trying to figure out the mapping software.
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Previous