Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fishing at 4WD accessible alpine lake?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Fishing at 4WD accessible alpine lake?

Postby eskermo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:21 pm

This might be a long shot, but I want to see if anyone has a good suggestion for fishing at an alpine lake that is accessible to 4WD vehicles.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Little or no hiking involved. I broke my ankle a month ago and I'm in a cast right now. After hiking a 14er almost every weekend since May, I think I'm going to lose it if I don't get into the mountains soon!
- 4WD accessible, but not too gnarly. I've got a second generation 4Runner that's all stock except for some stiff new offroad shocks and some big bulky all terrain tires. I've easily handled the 4WD road up to South Colony Lakes; Winfield (Huron); Lily Lakes/Huerfano; and I've made it from Lake City to the Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch trailhead, then on over Cinnamon Pass and down to Silverton. Not looking for anything much more difficult than those, though.
- Good fishing. I know nothing about fishing at alpine lakes, however. Is anyone familiar with regulations regarding fishing at these lakes? Are you allowed to/would you even want to bring a raft or canoe?
- No more than a 1.5 - 2 hour drive from the Boulder area.

I'm envisioning sitting at the foot of a lake at treeline with 12-14k mountains surrounding me on all sides.

We had our eye set on Wheeler Lake, located between Mt. Lincoln and Quandary. However, the more I look at the road up to the lake, the more I think it's a terrible idea. If anyone has been to Wheeler and can comment on road conditions/gnarliness, or suggest something very similar, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Re: Fishing at 4WD accessible alpine lake?

Postby swadmin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:03 pm

eskermo wrote:This might be a long shot, but I want to see if anyone has a good suggestion for fishing at an alpine lake that is accessible to 4WD vehicles.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Little or no hiking involved. I broke my ankle a month ago and I'm in a cast right now. After hiking a 14er almost every weekend since May, I think I'm going to lose it if I don't get into the mountains soon!
- 4WD accessible, but not too gnarly. I've got a second generation 4Runner that's all stock except for some stiff new offroad shocks and some big bulky all terrain tires. I've easily handled the 4WD road up to South Colony Lakes; Winfield (Huron); Lily Lakes/Huerfano; and I've made it from Lake City to the Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch trailhead, then on over Cinnamon Pass and down to Silverton. Not looking for anything much more difficult than those, though.
- Good fishing. I know nothing about fishing at alpine lakes, however. Is anyone familiar with regulations regarding fishing at these lakes? Are you allowed to/would you even want to bring a raft or canoe?
- No more than a 1.5 - 2 hour drive from the Boulder area.

I'm envisioning sitting at the foot of a lake at treeline with 12-14k mountains surrounding me on all sides.

We had our eye set on Wheeler Lake, located between Mt. Lincoln and Quandary. However, the more I look at the road up to the lake, the more I think it's a terrible idea. If anyone has been to Wheeler and can comment on road conditions/gnarliness, or suggest something very similar, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Clohesy Lake near the Rockdale trailhead for Missouri Mountain. There's a short walk (definitely not a hike) to get to the lake from the gate, but it's a beautiful place.
Last edited by tmathews on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby smrcka » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Wheeler Lake is definitely out of the question with a stock 4runner. All the vehicles I saw up there had lift kits and locking differentials. They were all Jeeps with short wheelbases as well. Several walls of rock have to be overcome and I watched a guy in a stock jeep nearly ruin his vehicle and was not able to overcome the obstacles. The final stretch called "Bowling Ball Hill" is a pretty gnarly piece of road too.
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm not a fisherman, but Hermit Lake near Westcliffe is pretty accessible.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Doctor No » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:56 pm

tmathews wrote:Clohesy Lake near the Rockdale trailhead for Missouri Mountain. There's a short walk (definitely not a hike) to get to the lake from the gate, but it's a beautiful place.

It was a bit further from Boulder, but this was the exact place I was thinking of.

OP, if you're willing to extend your drive to 3 hours, this is a beautiful place (and lots of fish, I've been told).

Postby habaceeba » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:04 pm

There's Pomeroy Lake west of Mt. Antero. It appears to be 4x4 accessible. I haven't fished it, but I've been eyeing it for a while. Are you fly fishing?

Postby pkripper » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Alta lakes near Telluride is a great spot . Pull right up to the lake camping old ghost town. Great spot with 14er views.

Postby PattyCakes » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:32 pm

It's a crazy 4wd road, but Lake Como in the Sangre de Cristo's has great fishing!