Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
axbauer
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Post by axbauer »

Probably will be at the top of Mt. Evans. That was a great idea. We will spread his ashes there. And drink beer

For those of you who dont know Chris was from the UK and so we are waiting to hear when his parents can make it out.

Date and time for memorial TBA
EVEREST DREAMS
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EVEREST DREAMS »

So sorry to hear of your loss. Remember the great things you have shared and may peace find you always. We all morn with you and those affected.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

The Mt. Evans road used to close the day after Labor Day. If that is the case, 12,500 ft. will be the highest you can drive on the road if the memorial is after Labor Day. Another option is Loveland Pass. From the pass you could hike up to the first subpeak which is probably less than 30 minutes and have the celebration right there. Great views of the 14er Torreys Peak.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Taylor,

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts are with you, your family, and friends.

Andrew
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
rajz06
14ers: 27  4 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (63)

Post by rajz06 »

Taylor: I wan't lucky enough to have crossed paths with Chris but please accept my deepest sympathies. I hope you can find some solace through the thoughts and words of the entire 14er community, especially those that knew Chris and can share their memories.
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

Barry Raven is right. The posted closing date for the summit of Mt. Evans is September 4th. But you can still drive as far as Summit Lake until they close the road due to snowfall (no specific date). But if there is no hurry and you really want to go to the top of Evans, there is always next summer.
jduncan
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by jduncan »

Taylor, I am so sorry for you your loss. May you find peace and comfort in your family and friends. God Bless.
Erik Weihenmayer - "There are summits everywhere. You just have to know where to look."
http://mountainchild.org
http://www.vintagesparkphoto.com
http://joshrduncan.wordpress.com/
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Some of us shared some beers last night and spoke fondly of our memories of Chris. We miss you. Rest easy.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Taylor mentioned last night that she would like Chris to make it to the top of Crestone. Tentative plans have been made for Sep 21-23rd to take Taylor into Cottonwood Lake, let her explore the area on Sat and then take some of his ashes to the summit on Sunday for her. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you the details.
Duffus Kentucky Climber
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Duffus Kentucky Climber »

Condolences, Taylor. So sorry.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

:cry: My heart aches for you, Taylor. I hope you find comfort in the times you two did share together, and cherish those memories forever.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Taylor; I am sorry for your loss.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog