RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
axbauer
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by axbauer »

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

axbauer wrote:I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you
Still unable to get to sleep here, ugh. Thank you so much for your kind words, Taylor. We share a kinship with you in these difficult times.
axbauer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by axbauer »

Yes we do.

Perhaps we need to plan a hike of some sort?

Please be understanding if I am perhaps not up to a
14er but I know we will be closest to our loved ones when are
in the mountains.
ztop
14ers: 56 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ztop »

You're right, Anna. This has been a humbling and inspiring time. Reading about Rob and how much respect he earned during his time with us is motivation to appreciate what we have and help others learn to enjoy it, too.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

+1 Anna. I have found it difficult not to shed a tear reading this thread and the heartfelt stories of those that were close to him. I ran across this just last night ... it seemed to be fitting to post as I think, from what I've read, that it could well be the way that Rob lived his life.

Life's Little Instructions

- Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
- Never waste an opportunity to tell people you love them.
- Don't be afraid to say, "I made a mistake" or "I don't know".
- Leave everything a little better than you found it.
- Take responsibility for every area of your life.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.
- Strive for excellence, not perfection.
- Have a firm handshake.
- Look people in the eye.
- Avoid negative people.
- Keep it simple.
- Be the first to say "hello".
- Return all things you borrow.
- Be there when people need you.
- Don't expect life to be fair.
- Learn three clean jokes.
- Remember other people's birthdays.
- Compliment even the smallest improvements.
- Never underestimate the power of love.
- Keep your promises no matter what.
- Be forgiving of yourself and others.
- Say "please" and "thank you" a lot.
- Count your blessings.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Some great news articles about Rob have surfaced this week, but this one really, really takes the cake. I've been re-reading it all morning.

http://www.newcanaannewsonline.com/news ... php#page-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

SurfNTurf wrote:Some great news articles about Rob have surfaced this week, but this one really, really takes the cake. I've been re-reading it all morning.

http://www.newcanaannewsonline.com/news ... php#page-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know what a single word of his senior thesis paper title means. Heck, I don't even think I can pronounce it!
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
RiceSnob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Post by RiceSnob »

It's brought tears when I read all these comment, we don't know Rob but ours thoughts and prayer with his sister and parent at this time. We will carry his love for the mountain when we climb.
lazyhiker
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazyhiker »

SurfNTurf wrote:Some great news articles about Rob have surfaced this week, but this one really, really takes the cake. I've been re-reading it all morning.

Very touching article. Very sad. RIP.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

gregory_fischer wrote:

I don't know what a single word of his senior thesis paper title means. Heck, I don't even think I can pronounce it!
Whereas, I would actually really like to read it. It was awesome that he got to go to BC to do field work, that's such a gorgeous area, and so geomorphically dynamic.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

bergsteigen wrote:
gregory_fischer wrote:

Whereas, I would actually really like to read it. It was awesome that he got to go to BC to do field work, that's such a gorgeous area, and so geomorphically dynamic.
I clearly should have taken more than an Intro to Geology class in college. Saturday was the first time I've ever heard Rob talk in detail about geology; we thought he didn't want to come across as nerdy. On the way up the S-Ridge, he talked about the different types of erosion he could see pointing to different rocks fractured by wind erosion as well as the freeze-thaw cycle. One of the guys ran out of TP and Rob brought up his senior thesis project where he was in the backcountry of British Columbia for 3 weeks. He told us how he ran out of toilet paper and had to resort to using rocks to wipe his butt. We laughed at him just at the thought of how uncomfortable that would be.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

bergsteigen wrote:
gregory_fischer wrote:

I did a lunch-time search for it, and while I found listings of the presentation, I couldn't find anything showing an actual publication on-line... perhaps it exists in the realm of the internet research databases (pay sites from my understanding.)
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus