Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunrise or Sunset

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Sunrise or Sunset

Postby vonmackle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks, Mark. Yes, you've gotta love those dunes. I just wish they weren't so hard on camera gear.

Mark Curtis wrote:Kimo, Kane, Cameron (law firm?) :mrgreen:

:lol:

Not a bad idea, just as long as I can have a cool nickname like 'The Strong Arm', or 'The Bulldog' that makes me sound more like a wrestling star than a lawyer.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby Kane » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:45 pm

Mark, I don't think I've ever seen the unique and very well done Dune composition in #1 "Dunes Surreal". That's a very cool shot!

Postby Mark Curtis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:07 pm

vonmackle wrote:Thanks, Mark. Yes, you've gotta love those dunes. I just wish they weren't so hard on camera gear.

Mark Curtis wrote:Kimo, Kane, Cameron (law firm?) :mrgreen:

:lol:

Not a bad idea, just as long as I can have a cool nickname like 'The Strong Arm', or 'The Bulldog' that makes me sound more like a wrestling star than a lawyer.

Yes, those are far better than (evidently) the given name of another infamous attorney near where I live.......Chip Monk. I kid you not.

Postby Mark Curtis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Kane wrote:Mark, I don't think I've ever seen the unique and very well done Dune composition in #1 "Dunes Surreal". That's a very cool shot!

Thanks, Kane. It's a great place for unique comps to be sure.

Postby jduncan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:05 pm

I was fortunate to capture these photographs on my way to South Colony Lakes on Friday night. The sun setting behind the Sangre di Cristo Range was breathtaking. This was my attempt at capturing the beauty.

Crestone Peak-15.jpg
Crestone Peak-15.jpg (340.12 KiB) Viewed 336 times

Crestone Peak-1.jpg
Crestone Peak-1.jpg (286.82 KiB) Viewed 336 times
Erik Weihenmayer - "There are summits everywhere. You just have to know where to look."
http://mountainchild.org
http://www.vintagesparkphoto.com
http://joshrduncan.wordpress.com/

Postby jlarocco » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Postby vonmackle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm

I spent a while shooting Longs from near the Iron Gates on Sunday morning and thought I'd post a sequence of photos showing the progression of light. Sunrise on 9/9 was at 6:39. I kept the white balance the same for all photos.

5:41 20 sec @ f4 iso 1600
Longs-3183.jpg
Longs-3183.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 248 times

6:18 5 sec @ f4 iso 100
Longs-3193.jpg
Longs-3193.jpg (166.18 KiB) Viewed 248 times

6:33 .8 sec @f8 iso 100
Longs-3197.jpg
Longs-3197.jpg (135.92 KiB) Viewed 248 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby vonmackle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:49 pm

6:39 .4 sec @ f8 iso 100
Longs-3198.jpg
Longs-3198.jpg (136.27 KiB) Viewed 244 times

6:42 1/5 sec @ f8 iso 100
Longs-3201.jpg
Longs-3201.jpg (145.52 KiB) Viewed 244 times

6:45 1/8 sec @ f8 iso 100
Longs-3202.jpg
Longs-3202.jpg (155.34 KiB) Viewed 244 times

Postby mattpayne11 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Holy smokes that #1 Dunes photo is SICK.

Postby pvnisher » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:49 pm

How much editing (beyond cropping or rotating) are you guys doing to these?
The saturation, balance, vignetting, etc all seems off the hook in some cases.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making the best image possible. Just like I believe in multitake/multitrack recording of music.
But I'm just curious how much processing is done on the computer to achieve some of these awesome shots.

Postby rking007 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks for posting that progression Cameron. I think I like the overall exposure at 6:18, soft shadows, great deep blues in the sky but I like the alpenglow at 6:39 too. The shadow cast running mid shot from the left almost makes the bottom half of the photo look black and white... crazy!

Question though, what do you do in those situations where the alpenglow is casting crazy dark shadows? Not totally black but dark enough to loose the detail in the shadows and therefore the depth of those areas? Example, your shot at 6:45? Lastly, which of these shots is your favorite and why? Or are you working on one that you didn't show that will blow all the others away? :-D
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby Kane » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 pm

rking007 wrote:Thanks for posting that progression Cameron. I think I like the overall exposure at 6:18, soft shadows, great deep blues in the sky but I like the alpenglow at 6:39 too. The shadow cast running mid shot from the left almost makes the bottom half of the photo look black and white... crazy!

Question though, what do you do in those situations where the alpenglow is casting crazy dark shadows? Not totally black but dark enough to loose the detail in the shadows and therefore the depth of those areas? Example, your shot at 6:45? Lastly, which of these shots is your favorite and why? Or are you working on one that you didn't show that will blow all the others away? :-D

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here. Getting technical; here's a good description of Alpenglow, as we know it and refer to it regarding mountain photography.

Alpenglow (from German: Alpenglühen) is an optical phenomenon. When the Sun is just below the horizon, a horizontal red glowing band can sometimes be observed on the opposite horizon. Alpenglow is easiest to observe when mountains are illuminated but can also be observed when the sky is illuminated through backscattering.

Since the Sun is below the horizon, there is no direct path for the light to reach the mountain. Instead, light reflects off airborne snow, water, or ice particles low in the atmosphere. It is this circumstance that separates a normal sunrise or sunset from alpenglow.

So what's my point? Alpenglow by the above definition is some super sweet light that a cameras sensor just eats up (on a tripod... of course). Don't blink, because this light usually lasts for maybe 3-4 minutes in the morning and 5-10 minutes at night. The light is so soft that pretty much any sensor on any camera can pick up the dynamic range. We're talking about a super even flow of light throughout your frame that renders shadows and highlights evenly. The end product is mostly incredibly pleasing to look at. A really well done alpenglow shot usually takes the trophy over the rest. Thus is the reason you like Vonmacle's lovely image at 6:18. That's an alpenglow image!

PreviousNext