Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Matterhorn Creek TH Status

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Matterhorn Creek TH Status

Postby Bullwinkle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Headed out to do Wetterhorn on Sunday via Matterhorn Creek TH, in a stock 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee with a full set of skid plates (8.6" at the front pan; 9-11" further back). Is the last .7 miles to the upper lot reasonable in this vehicle, or not worth the risk/hassle? I've driven a lot of nasty access roads, but don't want to over-reach my good fortune to date.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Re: Matterhorn Creek TH Status

Postby rijaca » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Well, you could walk the last .7 mile if you're not capable of driving the road. But your vehicle will have no problem.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby aussie56 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:19 pm

I have a stock xterra and did this no problem last year. Found the antero road a lot worse.

Postby ulvetano » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Did it in my stock GC a couple of weeks ago no problem.

Postby waltoncito » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 pm

You won't have any issues, was there on Sunday and saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee up there with no skid plates. Road is very doable (just as much walking as driving)

Postby Bullwinkle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks much for the sage advice. I think I'll go ahead and test the legs of the GC on that route.

I've pretty much done the rogue's gallery of the worst access roads in a variety of personal and rental vehicles--without incident--just didn't want to press my luck. I traded in my H3 (a great crawler) for a more practical 4WD GC earlier this year. Not even the slightest ping enroute to Silver Creek TH and to American Basin in July, but having a full set of skid plates is a bit more comforting--especially in the dark and without a spotter.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed