Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Just a friendly reminder

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Just a friendly reminder

Postby Dex » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Navigaiter wrote:
bking14ers wrote:What is the point of the trail head link on this web site in the first place? Maybe it should be removed, because I seem to be the only one who uses it.

I think people count on TRs and TH updates a bit too much. There was a time when all I had was Roach's book and a 4WD and no indication of what I was getting into whatsoever. The climbs I experienced during those years were wild and spectacular.

I do most of my hiking during the cold/snow weather and I just want to know the basic conditions. There is something to be said for discovering what is out there.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby CO Native » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:54 pm

There's also something to be said for not driving 300 miles only to find out you can't get within 10 miles of the trailhead. Or driving your 30 mpg car because the TH is in good shape instead of the 15 mpg Jeep.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Navigaiter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:02 pm

CO Native wrote:There's also something to be said for not driving 300 miles only to find out you can't get within 10 miles of the trailhead. Or driving your 30 mpg car because the TH is in good shape instead of the 15 mpg Jeep.

Very true. Don't get me wrong, I'll always check the conditions too, but I just found the way the OP asked it to be amusing (not in a derogatory way).

Postby Tornadoman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:46 pm

I see the original poster's point. Seems that there are a lot of trip reports for most mountains but not trailhead updates can be few and far between (sometimes I am sure there is no need for an update, as the road may not have changed). As someone who drives 8 to 13 hours from Kansas usually with a passenger car I do check descriptions before all of my trips, and have contributed to them when appropriate.

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:09 pm

bking14ers wrote:People. It was "just a friendly reminder"... I think we all missed the point of this little exercise. Some updates are very old. It only takes one big gully washer to change a TH. Are we clear now?

I'm clear that you want a "paint by numbers" climbing experience. Weather and road conditions change, sometimes by the hour. Updated TH status is not always sensitive to that; it responds to seasonal changes (opening and closing) and significant events like closed for elk calving season or a mudslide on the shelf road. It doesn't respond to, OMG, the road is wet and slippery.

Plan for alternatives if something disrupts your initial plans. The whole state is full of great alternatives.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby SkiBikeClimb99 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:16 pm

blazebo wrote:
JDip wrote:I agree with JROSKA, you can't just go off of a trip report or a trailhead status update or whatever. There are different sources to get information from - especially weather. That information isn't always correct either. This site is great for what it provides, but shouldn't be expected to always be right.

maybe we should have a hand holding class at the next happy hour. no offense, but if you cant do due diligence on weather, conditions, and traffic, you have no business climbing anything more than a bunk bed. ](*,)

I gotta say, I've been somewhat turned off by your replies in the the past, but this one has me laughing my ass off. Thanks, I needed this laugh tonight!

Previous