Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tripod Thread

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Posts: 824
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby George James » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Steve wrote:I just ordered one of these...

Wonderful, thank you!

I think something like that is what I'm looking for.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:09 am

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby kimo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:41 pm

George James wrote:
Steve wrote:I just ordered one of these...

Wonderful, thank you!

I think something like that is what I'm looking for.


Along those lines...I like ballheads...so this Slik has been on my mind...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614703-REG/Slik_611_806_Sprint_Mini_II_GM.html

Weighs 1.72 lb. I have no experience with it but it's on my wishlist.

I have a large carbon fiber tripod with ballhead that weighs around 3 lb but it's tall even with legs retracted and doesn't fit nicely on a daypack. My go to camera support nowadays is a carbon fiber monopod with ballhead that I pretty much carry everywhere. Maybe weighs a lb or two and retracts real nice for carry in the side pocket of my pack. Could a monopod be a viable option for your needs?

User avatar
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:19 pm

I got lucky, to be honest.

I purchased a Gitzo G1348 Inter Pro Studex Mk2 Carbon Fiber Tripod with the center column, including a Arca Swiss B1 ballhead. I got it all for $150... brand new it would have cost me like $1200...

User avatar
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:57 am
Location: Parker, Colorado

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby rking007 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:33 pm

mattpayne11 wrote:I got lucky, to be honest.

I purchased a Gitzo G1348 Inter Pro Studex Mk2 Carbon Fiber Tripod with the center column, including a Arca Swiss B1 ballhead. I got it all for $150... brand new it would have cost me like $1200...


:wft: :faint:
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

User avatar
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: The High Country

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Nice setup Steve! My e-510 and the same lenses have been kind to me for the price and weight. Ashamed that I have been snobbish enough to leave them at home so much the last few years. It is really an awesome setup for backcountry photography. Though I have to mention, I hear that Olympus is turning their focus away from DSLR equip. Which is sad given their superior glass.

For mid range DSLR stabilization, my Benro A0691TB00 Travel Angel has offered respectable performance to weight to cost ratio (can you have 3 numbers in a ratio?). At less than $200, 2.9lbs, and a 13lbs holding weight I feel it is a good value. It also has a detachable monopod which solves a lot of daylight shooting conundrums perfectly. The gorillapods are still on my dislike list for what I like to shoot. I've been down that road and it is frustrating. Good topic GJ.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

User avatar
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby Leigh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:54 am

I got this one last year for my SLR - so far, I'm pretty happy with it
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614703-REG/Slik_611_806_Sprint_Mini_II_GM.html

I originally bought it for a 4 day raft trip and needed to make sure it would fit in a dry bag, so size was my main requirement, followed by price being under $100.

User avatar
Posts: 824
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby George James » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:21 am

kimo wrote:...this Slik has been on my mind...
Thanks! Looks like this one has been recommended twice now. Sifting through the hundreds of tripods offered on sites like B&H seemed a slightly daunting task. These recommendations have helped a lot.

kimo wrote:Could a monopod be a viable option for your needs?
Just based on reading a couple tripod vs. monopod discussions around the interwebs, I don't think a monopod is what I'm looking for.

That shouldn't stop anyone from posting up some of their favorite monopods though, or anything at all related to camera stand use. Never meant for this to be only about what I'm currently interested in.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

User avatar
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 am

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:47 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:Nice setup Steve! My e-510 and the same lenses have been kind to me for the price and weight. Ashamed that I have been snobbish enough to leave them at home so much the last few years. It is really an awesome setup for backcountry photography. Though I have to mention, I hear that Olympus is turning their focus away from DSLR equip. Which is sad given their superior glass.
.


Yeah, I don't want to start an Olympus thread but that kinda sucks. I wanted to upgrade to the e-620 for the I.S. but no such luck.

User avatar
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: The High Country

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Steve Gio wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:Nice setup Steve! My e-510 and the same lenses have been kind to me for the price and weight. Ashamed that I have been snobbish enough to leave them at home so much the last few years. It is really an awesome setup for backcountry photography. Though I have to mention, I hear that Olympus is turning their focus away from DSLR equip. Which is sad given their superior glass.
.


Yeah, I don't want to start an Olympus thread but that kinda sucks. I wanted to upgrade to the e-620 for the I.S. but no such luck.


I have an e-5 and a e-620 as well. The e-620 is by far my favorite for backcountry photos.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

User avatar
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 am

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:25 pm

This is the thing that kills me. I would like the e-620. The body when available was going for $600. Can't get it now but to replace with a mirrorless of similar capabilities is over a grand. WTF? Or I can get the e-5. Sorry this has nothing to do with tri pods but why put out such a great group of cameras one year then drop the entire line?

User avatar
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:28 pm
Location: Windsor, Colorado

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby Mark Curtis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 pm

kimo wrote:
Along those lines...I like ballheads...so this Slik has been on my mind...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614703-REG/Slik_611_806_Sprint_Mini_II_GM.html

Weighs 1.72 lb. I have no experience with it but it's on my wishlist.


Kimo, I have this tripod (sans the quick release and the foam) and it's awesome! I've had it for years with no issues whatsoever (and I shoot almost exclusively in rugged mountain terrain). It's so compact and easy to get in and out of my Jeep....as well as pack down nicely for hiking. The ballhead is small, but it's tough as nails. I use it for my DSLR's, which are relatively small and light (for DSLR's)......but still heavy enough to test it out.

The only cons are minor nits.....the compact size comes at the expense of full stand up height (but I usually am very low when shooting anyway), and when using a larger camera like a DLSR it will bump into the legs when shooting in portrait. The latter is usually easily rectified by shifting the tripod legs around (they expand or contract besides extend or retract).....I do it almost without thinking about it at this point.

User avatar
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: The High Country

Re: Tripod Thread

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Steve Gio wrote:This is the thing that kills me. I would like the e-620. The body when available was going for $600. Can't get it now but to replace with a mirrorless of similar capabilities is over a grand. WTF? Or I can get the e-5. Sorry this has nothing to do with tri pods but why put out such a great group of cameras one year then drop the entire line?


You can still get e-620's new on Ebay for around $500. It is all going mirrorless in the future though. If you are only one body and a couple of lenses in on Olympus, I would switch to Canon or Nikon. I selfishly hope Olympus fails on their focus switch to micro 4/3rds. I doubt that will be the case though. I am 3 bodies and 6 lenses deep. Sorry for the hijack GJ.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests