Suggestions for Thanksgiving Weekend ?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Suggestions for Thanksgiving Weekend ?

Post by mts4602 »

I'd like to take a short trip somewhere in the US over the Thanksgiving holiday (probably Wednesday through Sunday). I don't know where to go! I've been out to Colorado several times last year as well as Yosemite a few times. GSMNP is close to me, but I've been there a lot.

The possibility of winter conditions is what's causing me to have to think a little. If it were summer I'd have a 100 places I'd love to go. Grand Canyon, Zion? Everything is open... I'm thinking some national parks may not be best visited in winter.

I don't know, I'm just rambling. What are you guys doing???

Matt
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Suggestions for Thanksgiving Weekend ?

Post by Scott P »

What are you guys doing???
We're going to the Moab area.

Besides that area, the low elevations of Southern Utah, the bottom of the Grand Canyon and the Las Vegas area are prime. West Texas too.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Eureka Springs, AR. Horseshoe Canyon Ranch for rock climbing and Lake Leatherwood for mountain biking. Cabins run cheap that time of year at HCR since it is offseason for them.

http://www.climbhcr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can either fly into Bentonville or drive it in 9 hours.

The Organ Needles near Las Cruces NM would be good too. You could fly into El Paso. The White Mountain Wilderness isn't too far from there as well. You can hike the crest trail over Nogal Peak and White Horse Hill. You can check out White Sands as well.
Tommy Dorr
14ers: 55 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

Great suggestions by Scott and Barry. You need look no further.

Prices start to dump mid Oct in AZ, UT and NM. Double check access on anything you plan though. Sometimes a gate or something will be closed starting mid Nov.

Personally, I go to Moab every Halloween for four days (this year five) and some type of cayon for Thanksgiving. This year I'm planning Grand Canyon rim to rim and then Buckskin Gulch.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

Tommy Dorr wrote:Great suggestions by Scott and Barry. You need look no further.

Prices start to dump mid Oct in AZ, UT and NM. Double check access on anything you plan though. Sometimes a gate or something will be closed starting mid Nov.

Personally, I go to Moab every Halloween for four days (this year five) and some type of cayon for Thanksgiving. This year I'm planning Grand Canyon rim to rim and then Buckskin Gulch.
Tommy,

How are planning logistics for your rim to rim trip? Isn't the north rim typically closed by Thanksgiving?
Tommy Dorr
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

Yes, the North Rim access road is usually closed by Thanksgiving. Last year, it closed the Monday before Thanksgiving. We will be starting on South Kaibab and ending at Bright Angel. Four days.
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

I've run R2R2R twice in November, once Thankgiving weekend. Was a really nice time of year to be there.
Tommy Dorr
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

Sugar Madison wrote:I've run R2R2R twice in November, once Thankgiving weekend. Was a really nice time of year to be there.
Damn, R2R2R in one day or two??
Sugar Madison
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Tommy Dorr wrote:
Sugar Madison wrote:I've run R2R2R twice in November, once Thankgiving weekend. Was a really nice time of year to be there.
One day. It's really fun, one of the best trail runs on earth!
Tommy Dorr
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

Sugar Madison wrote:
Tommy Dorr wrote:
One day. It's really fun, one of the best trail runs on earth!

46 miles, 23,200ft. Haha, you got us all in check!! Bravo
Sugar Madison
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Tommy Dorr wrote:
46 miles, 23,200ft. Haha, you got us all in check!! Bravo
Only two climbs though! :-)

One of my favorite areas, on the North Kaibab:
Tommy Dorr
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

That's pretty sweet.

Just so we all know, is that a shot from November? Looks earlier