Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dreamin of winter

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Dreamin of winter

Postby mtnfiend » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Carl wrote:Looked but couldn't find any pics of me drinking beers with mtnfiend's wife, so I'll just respond with another pic of me not falling. From Molas Pass last year with mtnfiend...

:lol: I'll tell her to be weary from now on!! I really wanted to post a pic of you slaying it Carl, but I didn't take one skiing pic that entire weekend...So instead I'll post a pic of Helmut from early november and from MJ in december!!
november 6, 2011.jpg
november 6, 2011.jpg (91.56 KiB) Viewed 314 times

MJ - compressed.jpg
MJ - compressed.jpg (64.59 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby USAKeller » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Seeing that first blanket of white in the season like I did on this mornings' run got me going even more excited for the snow to start flying! These peaks were totally bare yesterday.

How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby Scott P » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:58 am

Seeing that first blanket of white in the season like I did on this mornings' run got me going even more excited for the snow to start flying! These peaks were totally bare yesterday.

This was taken this morning? Beautiful pic. If this is from this morning, the leaves are really going to peak early this year.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Dave B » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:06 am

USAKeller wrote:Seeing that first blanket of white in the season like I did on this mornings' run got me going even more excited for the snow to start flying! These peaks were totally bare yesterday.

Crikey! It was 92 in Fort Collins yesterday, can't believe it snowed that much! Cool picture and yeah, gonna be an early aspen year!
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Carl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:59 am

Scott P wrote:This was taken this morning? Beautiful pic. If this is from this morning, the leaves are really going to peak early this year.

I believe that's Alaska, hence the leaves changing late August. Cool pic.

Postby USAKeller » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 am

Carl wrote:
Scott P wrote:This was taken this morning? Beautiful pic. If this is from this morning, the leaves are really going to peak early this year.

Yep, yesterday morning in Alaska. But no matter where it is, just seeing that first fall of the season is really exciting! I could post some aerial pics of a lot of "The High One", but that may just be too much of a tease. :wink:
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby GregMiller » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:01 am

USAKeller wrote:
Carl wrote:

Yep, yesterday morning in Alaska. But no matter where it is, just seeing that first fall of the season is really exciting! I could post some aerial pics of a lot of "The High One", but that may just be too much of a tease. :wink:

You're down south of Denali, right? Certainly haven't gotten anything up in Fairbanks yet, but certainly are getting the fall colors.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby USAKeller » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:51 pm

farcedude wrote:You're down south of Denali, right? Certainly haven't gotten anything up in Fairbanks yet, but certainly are getting the fall colors.

I was actually in Kantishna, a remote unincorporated 'community' on mile 92.5 of 93 in the interior of Denali Nat'l Park. However, we flew out and drove south to Talkeetna for a day. More snow covered the peaks today - it's time to ski!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Bean wrote:Splitboard stoke from two seasons ago:

I finally took a look at this thread and I have to cast my vote for this photo. Well done Bean! The texture and composition are amazing! Let's not spread this Colorado secret too much. I prefer seeing no other groups in winter.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby GravityPilot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:56 pm

As it is getting colder in CO and winter is over here in NZ (and I'm about to head home), here's a few from this year. I reckon we should keep this going until we can get on to this season's photos. It was a FAR below average season (it's currently raining outside at 1380m), but it was still pretty decent. All of these are right around where I work, I have heaps more, but no time to deal with them. Enjoy, think ice and snow.
In bounds, it just kinda goes on like this for a bit, then to a big unprotected face, then to a steep, rocky, slotted summit. Your's truely in the photo.

Mt. Phipps 1965m, This monster is right off the ski field. If you look close you can see three climbers on the upper face right in the middle. The skiable line is skiers right in a hidden corner. These three has average conditions, having to deal with some sheet ice down low. Photo: Your's truely

Little Phipps 1728m, Also just outside the boundary and commonly skied during work. You can't see it in this shot, but the area behind me is cliffed out and there is a manditory air (2m-3m) to get to the steep ramp I'm on. The snow was pretty good though thin on the ramp. Photo: Matt Clark

Postby ElFuegoDelaMuerte » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 pm

In light of the potential for a little bit of snow...

For all the ice climbers around. May not skiing but I'm still dreaming.

Fang_2008.jpg
Fang_2008.jpg (77.25 KiB) Viewed 402 times

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Buzz-kill
Only SNOW will end the madness

PreviousNext