Tripod Thread

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Tripod Thread

Post by George James »

Steve wrote:I just ordered one of these...
Wonderful, thank you!

I think something like that is what I'm looking for.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

George James wrote:
Steve wrote:I just ordered one of these...
Wonderful, thank you!

I think something like that is what I'm looking for.
Along those lines...I like ballheads...so this Slik has been on my mind...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... II_GM.html

Weighs 1.72 lb. I have no experience with it but it's on my wishlist.

I have a large carbon fiber tripod with ballhead that weighs around 3 lb but it's tall even with legs retracted and doesn't fit nicely on a daypack. My go to camera support nowadays is a carbon fiber monopod with ballhead that I pretty much carry everywhere. Maybe weighs a lb or two and retracts real nice for carry in the side pocket of my pack. Could a monopod be a viable option for your needs?
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I got lucky, to be honest.

I purchased a Gitzo G1348 Inter Pro Studex Mk2 Carbon Fiber Tripod with the center column, including a Arca Swiss B1 ballhead. I got it all for $150... brand new it would have cost me like $1200...
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

mattpayne11 wrote:I got lucky, to be honest.

I purchased a Gitzo G1348 Inter Pro Studex Mk2 Carbon Fiber Tripod with the center column, including a Arca Swiss B1 ballhead. I got it all for $150... brand new it would have cost me like $1200...
:wft: :faint:
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Nice setup Steve! My e-510 and the same lenses have been kind to me for the price and weight. Ashamed that I have been snobbish enough to leave them at home so much the last few years. It is really an awesome setup for backcountry photography. Though I have to mention, I hear that Olympus is turning their focus away from DSLR equip. Which is sad given their superior glass.

For mid range DSLR stabilization, my Benro A0691TB00 Travel Angel has offered respectable performance to weight to cost ratio (can you have 3 numbers in a ratio?). At less than $200, 2.9lbs, and a 13lbs holding weight I feel it is a good value. It also has a detachable monopod which solves a lot of daylight shooting conundrums perfectly. The gorillapods are still on my dislike list for what I like to shoot. I've been down that road and it is frustrating. Good topic GJ.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leigh
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Leigh »

I got this one last year for my SLR - so far, I'm pretty happy with it
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... II_GM.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I originally bought it for a 4 day raft trip and needed to make sure it would fit in a dry bag, so size was my main requirement, followed by price being under $100.
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

kimo wrote:...this Slik has been on my mind...
Thanks! Looks like this one has been recommended twice now. Sifting through the hundreds of tripods offered on sites like B&H seemed a slightly daunting task. These recommendations have helped a lot.
kimo wrote:Could a monopod be a viable option for your needs?
Just based on reading a couple tripod vs. monopod discussions around the interwebs, I don't think a monopod is what I'm looking for.

That shouldn't stop anyone from posting up some of their favorite monopods though, or anything at all related to camera stand use. Never meant for this to be only about what I'm currently interested in.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

RoanMtnMan wrote:Nice setup Steve! My e-510 and the same lenses have been kind to me for the price and weight. Ashamed that I have been snobbish enough to leave them at home so much the last few years. It is really an awesome setup for backcountry photography. Though I have to mention, I hear that Olympus is turning their focus away from DSLR equip. Which is sad given their superior glass.
Yeah, I don't want to start an Olympus thread but that kinda sucks. I wanted to upgrade to the e-620 for the I.S. but no such luck.
RoanMtnMan
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Steve Gio wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:Nice setup Steve! My e-510 and the same lenses have been kind to me for the price and weight. Ashamed that I have been snobbish enough to leave them at home so much the last few years. It is really an awesome setup for backcountry photography. Though I have to mention, I hear that Olympus is turning their focus away from DSLR equip. Which is sad given their superior glass.
Yeah, I don't want to start an Olympus thread but that kinda sucks. I wanted to upgrade to the e-620 for the I.S. but no such luck.
I have an e-5 and a e-620 as well. The e-620 is by far my favorite for backcountry photos.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

This is the thing that kills me. I would like the e-620. The body when available was going for $600. Can't get it now but to replace with a mirrorless of similar capabilities is over a grand. WTF? Or I can get the e-5. Sorry this has nothing to do with tri pods but why put out such a great group of cameras one year then drop the entire line?
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

kimo wrote:
Along those lines...I like ballheads...so this Slik has been on my mind...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... II_GM.html

Weighs 1.72 lb. I have no experience with it but it's on my wishlist.
Kimo, I have this tripod (sans the quick release and the foam) and it's awesome! I've had it for years with no issues whatsoever (and I shoot almost exclusively in rugged mountain terrain). It's so compact and easy to get in and out of my Jeep....as well as pack down nicely for hiking. The ballhead is small, but it's tough as nails. I use it for my DSLR's, which are relatively small and light (for DSLR's)......but still heavy enough to test it out.

The only cons are minor nits.....the compact size comes at the expense of full stand up height (but I usually am very low when shooting anyway), and when using a larger camera like a DLSR it will bump into the legs when shooting in portrait. The latter is usually easily rectified by shifting the tripod legs around (they expand or contract besides extend or retract).....I do it almost without thinking about it at this point.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoanMtnMan
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Steve Gio wrote:This is the thing that kills me. I would like the e-620. The body when available was going for $600. Can't get it now but to replace with a mirrorless of similar capabilities is over a grand. WTF? Or I can get the e-5. Sorry this has nothing to do with tri pods but why put out such a great group of cameras one year then drop the entire line?
You can still get e-620's new on Ebay for around $500. It is all going mirrorless in the future though. If you are only one body and a couple of lenses in on Olympus, I would switch to Canon or Nikon. I selfishly hope Olympus fails on their focus switch to micro 4/3rds. I doubt that will be the case though. I am 3 bodies and 6 lenses deep. Sorry for the hijack GJ.