Sunrise or Sunset

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sunrise or Sunset

Post by summitstep »

I know it is not in the mountains, but wanted to share this amazing sunset over Lake Erie; not often one drops in your lap like this.
Attachments
DSC_0176-1.JPG
DSC_0176-1.JPG (55.21 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
DSC_0182-1.JPG
DSC_0182-1.JPG (53.38 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

Echo Lake and daybreak ascending Elbert
Attachments
elbert daybreak.jpg
elbert daybreak.jpg (183.94 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
echo lake.jpg
echo lake.jpg (261.63 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

Sunrise from Barr Trail (25 Aug 2012) with a "fish-eye" effect.
Attachments
IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG (54.45 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

The Gore Mountains

http://www.kaephotography.com/gallery/zen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
bot-30-Panorama.jpg-npn.jpg
bot-30-Panorama.jpg-npn.jpg (284.34 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

kimo wrote:Valhalla found. Sunday morning in the Gore.

Well played, Kimo. Way to work that lens.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

vonmackle wrote:Well played, Kimo. Way to work that lens.
Thanks Cameron. Did what I could with what I had. Just wish I had another 2mm of wide angle. And some clouds would have been nice!
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

The Moon and Jupiter Rising Over the Great Sand Dunes in June
SandDunes-2613.jpg
SandDunes-2613.jpg (79.41 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

And a couple from South Rock Creek Basin this past weekend
Valhalla-3149.jpg
Valhalla-3149.jpg (210.06 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Valhalla-.jpg
Valhalla-.jpg (204.73 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

Bravo, gents.....Kimo, Kane, Cameron (law firm? :mrgreen: ). You guys have officially transcended the "cliche" stigma of sunrise/sunset photography. =D>
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

Cameron's jaw dropping shot of the Great Sand Dunes reminded me of a few I took near sunset over the years (the first two are from 2005 with a point and shoot):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Thanks, Mark. Yes, you've gotta love those dunes. I just wish they weren't so hard on camera gear.
Mark Curtis wrote:Kimo, Kane, Cameron (law firm?) :mrgreen:
:lol:

Not a bad idea, just as long as I can have a cool nickname like 'The Strong Arm', or 'The Bulldog' that makes me sound more like a wrestling star than a lawyer.
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Mark, I don't think I've ever seen the unique and very well done Dune composition in #1 "Dunes Surreal". That's a very cool shot!
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

vonmackle wrote:Thanks, Mark. Yes, you've gotta love those dunes. I just wish they weren't so hard on camera gear.
Mark Curtis wrote:Kimo, Kane, Cameron (law firm?) :mrgreen:
:lol:

Not a bad idea, just as long as I can have a cool nickname like 'The Strong Arm', or 'The Bulldog' that makes me sound more like a wrestling star than a lawyer.
Yes, those are far better than (evidently) the given name of another infamous attorney near where I live.......Chip Monk. I kid you not.